XHTML 1.0 Vs HTML 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

garycocs

Hi Lads,
Just wondering if I could get ye're views on this one, which is better and why etc?
I know this is probably another one of my classic how long is a piece of string questions but if ye've time.
Nice one
Gary

[EDIT] Also the differences/pros and cons of transitional etc.

Hope things are going ok for ye at home!!!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
XHTML vs HTML 4? You're really opening up a nice can of worms

I'll get the popcorn!

Solonox

XHTML *ducks* however i do like the looks of HTML 5.

I could pick out pros and cons for both XHTML and HTML 4... but i have been using XHTML for a long time now and will be sticking with it until i get to give HTML 5 i could kicking.

Actually i would LOVE to hear why someone would prefer HTML 4 over XHTML.. :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I guess someone has to ... so I will :)

XHTML is probably a better option to go with as it is the current standard.

If you're pulling in data via XML etc., then XHTML makes more sense ie. separation of content from formatting and thus allowing easier repurposing of the content for multiple uses ...

HTML 4.* is still widely used and won't go away anytime soon.

In all honesty if you can make sites that are compliant with A standard - regardless of which DTD you opt for it's a good start

TheMenace

It doesn't really matter as long as your content and presentation are sufficiently abstracted from each other, your mark-up is accessible and semantic and you've followed best practices.

A lot of people think that because HTML4 is still a valid standard that it's okay to write crappy, inaccessible code with nested tables and spacer gif's as long as it validates in the W3C validator.

Byron

A lot of people think that because HTML4 is still a valid standard that it's okay to write crappy, inaccessible code with nested tables and spacer gif's as long as it validates in the W3C validator.

It's not? (Only joking). I have really gone full circle with this. I learnt on HTML 4.0 and have moved on to XHTML 1.0. There are advantages and disadvantaged to both, but at the risk of losing my web wizzard hat, before it has been giving it's final fitting...

...I would say best thing to do is to is examine what you need.

Are you building a CMS template, e-commerce site, etc. which may benefit or require XHTML,

Or are you building a static site, which you will never really expand / require the integration of XML (or are willing to later rectify this issue).

HTML is inevitably easier to learn (from my experience of converting, and trying to understand the extra functions)< but perhaps XHTML may serve you better to know in the long run also.

The choice is yours, that's my two pence!

Hope it helps, other feel free to expand / criticise.

Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.