Zen Cart Set up/ Config Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

iddy

Hi

I'm setting up a shop using zen cart to sell motorcycle parts.

Its fine for generic parts/accessories that fit all models of motorcycles but I'm now trying to figure out a way of putting model specific parts in.

There are about 8 main motorcycle manufacturers with at least 70 different models each.

The easiest way for a customer to find the part they are looking for would be to have a drop down box for each manufacturer which lists every model or select the manufacturer from a drop down box which then allows the model to be selected from another drop down box.

I can't find any way of getting zen cart to do this - am i missing something?

At the moment the only way i can see to do this is to set up a category called " Shop by Motorcycle Model", sub category for manufacturer, sub categories to cater for the overall model, then another sub category for the specific models, THEN list the actual parts.

so the category path would look something like -

Shop by Motorcycle Model - Honda Motorcycles - C50 - C50A - List of parts available for C50A

(Zencart came with my hosting so thats why I'm using it)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
Id

neweb

The structure Zen uses might not seem the easy but It is the most natural.

If you lay it out the way Zen wants you to your visitors would be easily able to find stuff and bookmark a specific section.

Make use of the Model box to put specific part numbers in. That way a client can find something just using the search box.

No matter how you lay it out you will always think you should have done it the other way:D. Its just the way it is.

I had my own problems with Zen Cart
http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/e-commerce/9277-zencart-the-donkey.html
Where friends now and getting on just fine :D

I have completed a project using Zen and it really is a great bit of software. You just need to change your thinking slights when using it.

MOH

Unfortunately, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Motorcycle-Maintenance-Robert-Pirsig/dp/B001I8ETFA"]this[/ame] will be of absolutely no help to you, but was the first thing that sprang to mind and I couldn't resist.

iddy

iddy, I trust you are moving forward okay now with ZenCart?

Hi Jsweb

I've been out of circulation for a few weeks due to personal circumstances so progress has been slow but your work off line has been much appreciated and has solved my original query perfectly.

If anybody else has a similar query I'm sure they'll get in touch with you!.

Thanks again
Id

Status
Not open for further replies.