best permalink format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfly

For about 99% of all our WP sites we use:

/%category%/%postname%/

However, each case is different. I', not sure if it is still the case but I think Google News requires numeric characters in the URL (That rule may have been abolished).

Again, it all depends.

Another MASSIVE gripe I have with WP is that the category base cannot be the category name, it's /slug/%categoryname%. While it can be customized, it cannot be the cat itself or removed completely. HUGE PITA.

Hope that helps.

php.allstar

As taken from Using Permalinks WordPress Codex

%postname% A sanitized version of the title of the post (post slug field on Edit Post/Page panel). So “This Is A Great Post!” becomes this-is-a-great-post in the URI (see Using only %postname%). Starting Permalinks with %postname% is strongly not recommended for performance reasons.. *** Note - this has been changed and is ok to do since ver. 2.0

%category%
A sanitized version of the category name (category slug field on New/Edit Category panel). Nested sub-categories appear as nested directories in the URI. Starting Permalinks with %category% is strongly not recommended for performance reasons.

babyboy808

I almost always have it like so these days:

Post page = domain.com/blahblah/
Category page = domain.com/widgets/

Busarus

yeah php.allstar
i had seen that and had been thinking of

/%category%/%postname%/

but that wordpress comment seems to not recommend that...

php.allstar

I dunno, not an expert on Wordpress, but I've used /%categoryname%/%postname%/ in the past and it worked fine.

I presume wordpress dont reccommend this for large, busy sites... for a smallish blog I don't see a problem with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.