Blog or News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Hi all,

Currently developing a site for a client. He wants a News section where he can detail new products or any company announcements. With the new wave of blogging spreading the world, should I implement a blog for him or a traditional news section. Opinions? Is the traditional news section of a site being made redundant in place of the mighty blog?

kae

the difference between a blog and a news site is that in a blog, readers can comment on articles. traditionally, you can't comment on a news site.

so, it depends on whether the client wants to solicit input.

Cormac

You can of course disable comments on a blog (in worpdress anyway) via the options tab. Blog all the way, there is little difference but WP has a lot of anti-spam features and all that lark...

Sarah_Webinc

If he is going to be updating it himself and has little knowledge of sites than a blog would be easy for him to use for the updates and might make him feel trendy...lol

Amateur

Mmm! Looks like I might changing tactics! In the middle of coding a News Module for my CMS, might adapt it slightly to have the functionality of a blog. I'm a .NET guy myself so haven't the wordpress open to me.

Good or bad idea to code your own blog?? Or will I go the Community Server option, decisions decisions....

daviddoran

If you're doing a small custom blog/news then it's probably a good idea but if you wanted to emulate Wordpress or a complicated blog then the work reuired for Feeds, Uploads, Tags etc. would become evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.