Car insurance - fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking into pricing for my car insurance renewal last week and got a few quotes

Naturally I reduced the value of the car, as it's a year older than when I got it plus it also had a little incident with a gate.

In any case I spoke to my insurer today who quoted me less than last year's premium, but a lot more than their online quote

when I got home this evening there was a letter from them with a renewal form etc., including the car's value which hadn't changed from last year!

Surely the book value of the car would decrease?

Or are they just trying it on in the hope that people won't bother checking?

louie

the car insurance is a very dark-grey area.
every year you have to shop around.
the car value is not what is worth to you but is calculated by the "Book value" which is few 1000's less.
Some questions they ask doesn't even make sense.

louie

is not going up at all, just anything to increase your premium.
you need to call and corect that with them. also if you got an on-line quote you should have a reference number which you can use to get your insurance premium and they are obliged to give it to you.

As I said if you see your car on-line at 10K take 2-3k from it and give it to the insurance because that how they calculate it when things go wrong.

you can get a ball figure from here: https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Status
Not open for further replies.