Status
Not open for further replies.

starfire

I am looking for courses to learn the basics of PHP and MYSQL
Part time in dublin
My budget for the course would be up tp 500€ (I have found higher) and in a class room situation

If you know of any please let me know

n3tFl0w

Why a classroom situation? Why not just buy the books and self teach? Save yourself a rake of money?

I learnt that way and I'm pretty good if I do say so myself...

babyboy808

Yeah, have to agree with n3tFl0w. In my opinion Irish computer courses are overpriced and have little value, as in that €500 you have will probably be good for a day or 2 training. Buy a book on the Zend Certification and another one with both PHP & MySQL to build some apps.

starfire

I agree with you about about them been over priced

But I dont know anything about PHP at the moment so I need an into to it and if I have the basics I hope with time I can learn the rest on my own

n3tFl0w

I started off with a really excellent book - Let me find the name for you and I'll post it up here.

Dotwebs

Try Home : IACT Online for courses. It's probably worth your while doing an introductory course and then getting down and dirty with books and online learning. You will find a plethera of great material here: PHP | O'Reilly Media and SitePoint : New Articles, Fresh Thinking for Web Developers and Designers.
This site is a great resource: PHPBuilder.com, the best resource for PHP tutorials, templates, PHP manuals, content management systems, scripts, classes and more. and has a very helpful community.

damoth

I'm currenty working my way through: PHP 6 and MySQL 5 Visual Quickpro Guide by Larry Ullman... Finding it very good.

Also, Headfirst PHP and MySQL is due out in December i think and all the HeadFirst series of books are generally excellent. They look at things a different way and are very easy to follow.

If you aren't into books Lynda.com does video training courses. Think a years subscription is a few hundred but that gets you access to everything they have. Don't know about their PHP and MySQL courses but some of their other ones are very good.

Arch-Stanton

Here is a site I set up recently, have a look at this category Tube Tutor Video and Audio

I will be adding more videos in PHPand Mysql over the comming weeks.

Watch the videos in this order;

Introduction to PHP
PHP Variables
Functions in PHP
More Variables PHP
if Statements in PHP
Loops and Arrays PHP
Post and Get PHP

By the way if anybody else is interested in putting up tutorials, please do so.

link8r

There are many classroom courses that you would certainly get more information from a book - but if you get an advanced course with someone really smart with a lot of experience, you can ask questions. Don't you find with books that just when you get to a function that looks really cool or smart, it just drops you ? At least with someone in front of you you can ask questions when your version of the example doesn't work :)

etch

Why a classroom situation? Why not just buy the books and self teach? Save yourself a rake of money?

I learnt that way and I'm pretty good if I do say so myself...

i agree with self teach so much ... actually u need to help urself learning new languages and tools , coz everyday u will see new languages , features or tools in the web development ...

i recommend that u start with this - with some simple and easy tutorials , u gonna enjoy this way of learning man :)

i wish u good luck , cya ;)

cmcsoft

I think you're best bet would be to try and go through the basics yourself. There a re plenty of bits of code online to get you started with some basic scripts. I find that it's best to think up a very simple scenario and work through it.

As you go along you will pick up more and more. I learned more on my own then I ever did in any classroom but I guess everyone is different

fizzy

While I'm a big fan of self learning, I think a key factor is whether you have any previous programming experience. PHP is an easy language to pick up, especially with a good book, but the whole mindset of programming is not so simple.

I got a firm grounding in programming in my first year in college, and that has made picking up different programming languages quite straightforward.

On the other hand, I recommended books to someone recently who wanted to learn some basic PHP/MySQL. This girl is extremely bright, and has run websites for years as a hobby after learning HTML etc very quickly. However, while the MySQL made some sense, she even found the introductory chapters on PHP very hard to get her head around, which I had not expected. From talking with her, I realised that the problem was the programming concepts rather than the PHP.

Once you understand programming it's a doddle, but I now see that it's very difficult otherwise, and even if you make some progress, you would be missing the big picture.

Good books I would recommend are (I can't link to them unfortunately because I don't have enough posts yet):
PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library): Luke Welling, Laura Thomson
4th edition just out, this was my bible back when I started so it's my personal favourite.

PHP Solutions: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy (Solutions): David Powers, Friends of ED
The girl I was helping had bought this book and I had a good flick through it and was very impressed. This book really focuses on practical web development and best practice. Lots of stuff you want to do on sites (logins, uploads, security) is covered really well here.

However, if you have no programming experience, I really think that a course would help you. I can't recommend one, but I would try to find one that concentrated more on the programming than the PHP, if that's possible. Once you get your head around variables and functions etc and start thinking like a programmer, the rest will be easy. Good luck! :)

fizzy

Jeepers thanks n3tfl0w :) I can waffle for Ireland so it's good to know I can make sense once in a while! :D

MH-Dolly

There nice tutorials above , please try w3schools for start!
If you have questions you can post here at forum!
I think here are allot of people that will help you free!

Status
Not open for further replies.