• Vanilla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nevf

just make the business plan to make a nice, simple, clean forum that can be easily used and managed. Not planning on having a million members, but I won't refuse them. :)
More like about 200 active users if the site's really successful.

I haven't got anything against a forum software more so than any other. So yeah, which do you think is best.

I'd like people to leave out the cost issue when making their decision in the poll, because cost will only be an issue if I have money when I decide to get around to buying it anyway.

:)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I voted for vbulletin, but vanilla seems to be a popular open source option that you haven't listed

nevf

I voted for vbulletin, but vanilla seems to be a popular open source option that you haven't listed
never knew it existed. Would you mind sticking it in? :)

It looks pretty good, and i'd be interested in hearing other's views on this also.

Actually, to clarify that, I knew it existed but i didn't know what it was called.

n3tFl0w

What about bbPress? I hear its pretty good?

Though that said, I'm very interested in how this plays out because I'm looking to start a forum...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The reasons I voted for vbulletin:

• It's mature
  • It's properly supported
  • Any security issues are usually fixed very quickly (relates to both points above)
  • It's flexible
  • It's got pretty good spam prevention and moderation builtin (nuke all of a spammers posts in a couple of clicks - makes my life a lot easier)
  • There are lots of extensions available if you want to do something slightly different
  • It's got a big userbase
Of course you could argue that some of those points are reasons NOT to use it as well :)

aarondonohoe

I used to be a fan of Invision Power Board until they got stuck up their own a**e - they have the neck to charge way over the odds for product which doesn't live up to expectations, so vBulletin offer the best package for the money IMO.

I use the free scripts more often now, such as punBB, and Vanilla. Still have one vB license on the go, although I'm considering not renewing my subscrition :(

nevf

The reasons I voted for vbulletin:
  • It's mature
  • It's properly supported
  • Any security issues are usually fixed very quickly (relates to both points above)
  • It's flexible
  • It's got pretty good spam prevention and moderation builtin (nuke all of a spammers posts in a couple of clicks - makes my life a lot easier)
  • There are lots of extensions available if you want to do something slightly different
  • It's got a big userbase
Of course you could argue that some of those points are reasons NOT to use it as well :)
Yah, they're all good points. I like the fact that it's mature, and supported, and yet has a good sense of community with it.
hmm, i might just go for it. what would be your favourite of the open source ones?

I used to be a fan of Invision Power Board until they got stuck up their own a**e - they have the neck to charge way over the odds for product which doesn't live up to expectations, so vBulletin offer the best package for the money IMO.
Never liked invision anyway to be honest, regardless of how much it ever costed.

pavan6993

I like vbulletin software!
Present,i am using another software as vbulletin is a paid one!
Will shift to vbulletin in the future!

achieve

I tried Yabb once upon a time. Worked well until it got hacked. I then moved to PHPBB, and have this running on a couple of different sites. It's easy to setup and configure. Mind you the capcha got hacked recently, but it was easy get a fix, and forums are very helpful

dropbop

Im a fan of SMF. Dont know why I am but it does have some good features and add-ons. I took a look at vBulletin a few times but could never really take to it.
SMF is so much simplier and quicker to put add-on on and the ad management on it is sooo easy to install, setup and maintain.

It has come a very long way and I think it will be one of the top runners alongside vBulletin.

Status
Not open for further replies.