Home based online shop - Data backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOH

I'm wondering what people running small online business from home do about data backups.

Aside from whatever backups your hosting provider might make, you're obviously going to want to have your own system in place.

You don't want to store backup data on an external drive or laptop, since if it's nicked you've just released contact details for all your customers.

On the basis of an in-depth 2 minutes thinking about it, simplest way I can think of would be to set up a cron job to dump your db, encrypt it, and mail it to a gmail account set up specifically for that purpose, which you never use for anything else apart from logging in occasionally to clear down old backups, or if you need to restore.

I'm probably missing a better way, any suggestions?

achieve

I run my own dedicated server for my clients. All webpages & account settings are backed up on a daily basis. This automatic backup doesn't backup the MySql databases on the server, some of which are used for ecommerce sites. I back these up weekly for my clients - only takes 5 minutes, but I wouldn't mind implementing an automatic script here also.

BrianSP

Some good ideas if you have FULL access to your server/s:

First get a cheap ftp host somewhere..

1. For SQL Backups
SQLBackupAndFTP (SQLBackupAndFTP.com) : Backup SQL Databases and FTP to a ftp server.

2. For Websites and other files.
Handy Backup. (HandyBackup.com) Backup and FTP to a ftp server.
Work a treat for me.

Hope this helps (Sorry Windows Hosting only)

Status
Not open for further replies.