Hosting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

webman1

folks - what is the easiest way and steps to move a website from one hosting provider (think you know) to another - is it possible to be done with very little downtime

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan ahead you can do it without too many issues.

Basically you'd want to have everything setup and ready to go on the new provider's servers

K

Kieran

Moving Providers

You also need to have owned the domain for a period of time before you can move (I think it is 60 days). So if you have only created the domain in the past couple of months then you need to sit and wait. I recently moved providers for a customer of mine and the main memories I have that made life easier were the following.

1. Have all your content ready to go live. If there is some additional database work that needs to be done before your site goes live then have a placeholder page ready or if this is not acceptable then have all the static content ready so that when the domain is moved you are ready to go live.
  2. Make sure that your domain isn't locked
  3. Make sure that you know your destination DNS entries
  4. You will need a transfer code / authorisation code to allow you to move
These are my note form what I remember last time. I had lots of problems behind this as the sie had been re-registered by the previous site owner without letting me know so I had to wait additional days to make the move.

Have fun...

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.