How does google know my .org is in ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

first up, i am fairly new to all this so apologies if my questions seem amateur :p I recently launched a new website to promote a small business I've set up. based in Cork. My url is a .org and I'd like to know how I should SEO my code to let search engines know I'm based in Cork.

I've included the following geo tags in my metas:

<meta name=”geo.position” content=” 51.90; -8.96″ />
<meta name=”geo.country” content=”IE” />
<meta name=”geo.placename” content=”Macroom, Co. Cork, Ireland” />

This is something I came across on google search. I just edited it to suit my locations but have no idea what is exactly actually does if anything to identify my .org as Cork, Irish.

Does this method work? Are there others? How does google know where a site is loacted.

My host is hostmonster based in the usa.

Thanks

Cormac :)

Contuinued...

Of course, I realise that changing my url to .ie would probably help a lot.
However, I can see other .com and .org sites being listed through google.ie

And I understand that if I can get links to my site on other popular google.ie ranking sites this apparently helps too...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Google webmaster tools allows you to set the location, though your choice of a .org for a business strikes me as quite odd, as .org is more commonly used by non-profits

The other obvious thing is to host the site in Ireland

Thanks Blacknight...

it's just a startup businesss and while it's taking form .org was the easiest thing to go for. I'm going on a back 2 work scheme after xmas and will be getting a .ie registering with revenue etc....

I'm checking out the google webmaster tools thing...

Cheers,

Cormac

link8r

Thanks Blacknight...

it's just a startup businesss and while it's taking form .org was the easiest thing to go for. I'm going on a back 2 work scheme after xmas and will be getting a .ie registering with revenue etc....

I'm checking out the google webmaster tools thing...

Cheers,

Cormac

Domains don't "migrate" per se - if you build up authority on version1.org - you aren't guaranteed to move/migrate to business1.ie after 6 months - you need to pick a domain and go forward.

Regsitering a .ie with Revenue? AFAIK a domain is not a business! If you want to rade as mybusinessname.ie then you have to register a business with that name with the CRO and register that business with Revenue.

Hope that helps!

link8r

Hi everyone,

first up, i am fairly new to all this so apologies if my questions seem amateur :p I recently launched a new website to promote a small business I've set up. based in Cork. My url is a .org and I'd like to know how I should SEO my code to let search engines know I'm based in Cork.

I've included the following geo tags in my metas:

<meta name=”geo.position” content=” 51.90; -8.96″ />
<meta name=”geo.country” content=”IE” />
<meta name=”geo.placename” content=”Macroom, Co. Cork, Ireland” />

This is something I came across on google search. I just edited it to suit my locations but have no idea what is exactly actually does if anything to identify my .org as Cork, Irish.

Does this method work? Are there others? How does google know where a site is loacted.

My host is hostmonster based in the usa.

Thanks

Cormac :)

Google will use your ISP, your content and those that link to you to geo-locate you. Even if you tell Google that your site is Irish but you have lots of links from the USA, it may still think your content isn't relevant to an Irish audience.

I don't think Google will use those meta-tags very much to assess the relevancy of your site. Your best bit is to firstly test do you show as an Irish site ( Google "yourdomain.org" with "" in Google and search pages from the world and then tick pages from Ireland and search again) - if you don't show in Pages from Ireland then Google hasn't picked you up as an Irish site and you need to use the webmasters tool (as suggested by BK)

Thanks people...

Thanks everyone...

I actually had way lots of foreign links. usa nz uk etc on my links page.
So thanks for the tips.

When I google.com my url it comes in first on the page.
When I google.ie my url I can'f find the site listed.

I've been reworking leywords and rewriting code. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Best of everything for 2010...

Cormac

Also, I'm aware of the demotion of meta tags. When I say rewriting keywords, these are mirrored both in the content and meta tag. I'm trying to include text repeats of every major google search term specific to my product in my site content.

As I say, this is a start up business and while I'm happy with returns from the model I've built at this early stage, the site will be going .ie before the chicken coop season begins later in spring.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.