Register365 / Namesco email issues ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

HI

Is anybody else having problems with Namesco / Reg365's smtp server ?

For a few days now, hitting 'send' in Thunderbird gives me an hourglass for 30seconds to a minute.

Mail is eventually sent - but one of my websites uses a guestbook application which also sends various emails - and folks are double, treble and even sextuple-clicking the sumbit button because the smtp server seems to have gone walkabout...

I have already contacted Namesco's award-winning tech support team - who offered to look at my website for me to find out where _my_ error was....

Anybody else having the same problem ( the email thing - not the support thing!)

Thanks
Adrian

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
didn't you already post this on another thread ? or am I going crazy ?

adrian5750

HI Forbairt

didn't you already post this on another thread ? or am I going crazy ?

Can't answer the second question <g>....

...but 'yes' - I did post it on the other thread - but it was somewhat buried in all the other discussion.....

Apologies for the duplication - looks like I'm the only one here who's experiencing this new 'feature'

Adrian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Surely the websites are sending the mail server-side using "sendmail" (or equivalent) ?

adrian5750

HI Blacknight

Surely the websites are sending the mail server-side using "sendmail" (or equivalent) ?

Well - they're using a bit of php code that comes with Netobjects.
Seems to send via SMTP.

I'm no expert - but it seemed to me that the fact that sending email from Thunderbird results in delays of 30s - 1min before the email is accepted, and the 'double-clicking' on our webform that results in double entries is likely the result of folks getting bored waiting for the intial script to complete and hitting the button again....

...indicates something odd with Reg365's smtp server.....

Still waiting for some kind of a sensible response from their award-winning customer service folks. Probably too busy polishing their awards <g>

Kind of academic, this problem - as the site'll be migrated across to Blacknight before too long.....

Adrian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Adrian

Most scripts can choose how they send mail ie. smtp vs. server-side

Your experience with the SMTP can be affected by a lot of other factors, so you could switch to using your dsl provider's smtp in the interim

Michele

adrian5750

HI Michele

Adrian

Most scripts can choose how they send mail ie. smtp vs. server-side

Your experience with the SMTP can be affected by a lot of other factors, so you could switch to using your dsl provider's smtp in the interim

Michele

That's a thought - but my connection is through a wireless provider - and there's no bundled email with the package .....

As I say - the problem's going to go away very soon.....:) just as soon as I have set up the necessary at Blacknight and flipped the DNS over (which'll probably be next week now - as I've the big Skibbereen Food Festival this weekend with my stained glass so need to concentrate on that as a priority...

Thanks
Adrian

adrian5750

Now there's a funny thing......

Just this moment, it all started working again....

Email through Reg356's servers is sent from Thunderbird almost instantly, and the form on the website (also sending email via Reg365) is now processing entries 'just like that'......

Looks as if 'somebody, somewhere' at Register365 found something, and fixed it - whoopidoo !

Fills you with confidence, doesn't it ?? (Not a lot!)

Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.