Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCardinal

Michele

I'm curious as to how things are going here in terms of sign-up and post trends?

I only ask because Boards webmaster seems to be dying completely. Any decent threads (read controversial) just end up getting deleted. As for creativeireland, well lets just say designer/flash bias isn't my thing.

Would be nice to know how you're progressing :)

Rgds

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you PM me your Google account details I'll add you to the profile for this site so you can take a peek :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Wha? They delete threads over there?

Michele, do you ever delete threads?

Just wondering.
To date the only threads / posts I've deleted have been from spammers.

On another board I've had to edit / remove posts/ threads that were troublesome ie. legal threats were issued (and I made it into The Sunday Times)

Gavin

You made it into the Sunday Times? How? lol.

The reason why I asked about the deleting of threads of posts is that I know forums that never do it until they get a legal letter through the door....DP is one of them, its impossible to get a thread deleted there.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You made it into the Sunday Times? How? lol.

I was criticised for my moderation of a particularly contentious bulletin board that I used to manage for a friend. They didn't refer to me by name, as the journalist was too lazy to work out who I was :)

The reason why I asked about the deleting of threads of posts is that I know forums that never do it until they get a legal letter through the door....DP is one of them, its impossible to get a thread deleted there.

This board isn't that big and most of you are pretty mature, so the only ones I have to worry about are the spammers - and Louie and Ricardo seem to be nuking a lot of those threads / posts quickly (thanks gents!)

Gavin

The journalist must have had very little to write about if he/she resulted in reporting about forum moderation. I dont think I ever seen anything like that in a newspaper.

Yeah the group here seem to be very level headed when it comes to posting although very brutally honest at times....I really enjoyed all the reading of the web awards.

Amateur

Just wondering out of curiosity, it something libellous is posted on a forum, who is legally responsible for it, the forum owner or the person who wrote it?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The forum owner and the host (if they are made aware of it and don't take any action)

In the case of this board they are one and the same, as all takedown notices will end up on my desk anyway :)

While a lot of fora include disclaimers etc., stating that the opinions are those of the posters etc., etc., the reality is that the publisher is liable.

Gavin

Good question. I know in the U.S. it is down to the poster but information can be withheld until a court orders the forum owner to hand it over.

In Ireland its probably down to the Forum owner but I am thinking wouldnt slapping a disclaimer on the forum safe guard the owner?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Good question. I know in the U.S. it is down to the poster but information can be withheld until a court orders the forum owner to hand it over.

Irish law is influenced by US law at times.. however in the realm of online comments etc., it seems to have taken a different route
In Ireland its probably down to the Forum owner but I am thinking wouldnt slapping a disclaimer on the forum safe guard the owner?

Disclaimers won't help - look what happened to boards.ie

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ah Gotcha on that one. Is that law here in Ireland or generally Europe?

I've no idea, as I've only ever had to concern myself with Irish legislation in this field. As our servers are in Ireland I only have to worry about the Irish legislation (thank God for ISPAI!)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hope i'm not over stepping the mark, but what happened them?

They've had numerous legal threats from Switchmedia, MCD and other companies.

I've no idea how far the MCD case progressed....

Then again some Irish companies just love issuing threats - I've heard some very amusing stories about some of the crazy threats that have been issued by some companies (we've only ever sent a couple of threatening letters ever - cease and desist type things)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Cormac

And as far as I can recall nobody said anything that was libellous about MCD (though I could be wrong) - they merely gave their opinions and experiences

Michele

Amateur

They've had numerous legal threats from Switchmedia, MCD and other companies.

I've no idea how far the MCD case progressed....

Then again some Irish companies just love issuing threats - I've heard some very amusing stories about some of the crazy threats that have been issued by some companies (we've only ever sent a couple of threatening letters ever - cease and desist type things)

Thats a bit heavy to be thinking about at this hour, i'm off to bed ;-)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you dont mind me asking, against who? People who stole your content or for other reasons?

One was due to someone referring to a company director in a libellous / slanderous manner ( I always get the two confused and am too tired to check)

The other was against a domain squatter. That case is still ongoing ie. I'll let you all know when it is fully resolved, but suffice to say that the cease and desist was ignored, so we'll probably be escalating it on point of principle

Status
Not open for further replies.