VPS hosting good enough for eCommerce

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevf

Did anyone ever hear of a company called blacknight?

Strongly considering Going with them for hosting for an ecommerce site(most likely will use Magento as the software package), is VPS good enough or am I looking at a different option completely to be secure?

n3tFl0w

Hilarious. Blacknight are I'd say the biggest hosting provider in Ireland. A quick search of the forums will give you all you need to know about Blacknight. I'm pretty sure they have a hand in running this forum too. And excellently I might add ;)

nevf

I was being sarcastic....
Good joke tho... nah nah nah, you feel for it. :p

and yes, the admins username is blacknight, and the forum is hosted with them :D

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Did anyone ever hear of a company called blacknight?

Strongly considering Going with them for hosting for an ecommerce site(most likely will use Magento as the software package), is VPS good enough or am I looking at a different option completely to be secure?

god I nearly chocked on my drink

I was being sarcastic....
Good joke tho... nah nah nah, you feel for it. :p

Thank god... !!!

Hilarious. Blacknight are I'd say the biggest hosting provider in Ireland. A quick search of the forums will give you all you need to know about Blacknight. I'm pretty sure they have a hand in running this forum too. And excellently I might add ;)

Think they are second / third ? ... though jmcc can probably correct me on that :D ...

Register365 I think are the biggest ? though again I could be wrong

Anyways ... which version of the VPS hosting were you looking at ... what volumn of traffic are you planning on dealing with ?

I'd opt away from the entry level VPS .. and go for the one up from that ...

nevf

god I nearly chocked on my drink
Thank god... !!!
I thought people would catch onto the joke without me having to explain it, but sher ah well... at least i managed to break your keyboard with water damage...

Think they are second / third ? ... though jmcc can probably correct me on that :D ...

Register365 I think are the biggest ? though again I could be wrong
IIRC, Register365, followed by blacknight in second place.

unless of course, we're talking about customer service and the likes. and if register365 has been sold to an english company, that means blacknight, now becomes the biggest irish hosting provider... right/wrong?

Anyways ... which version of the VPS hosting were you looking at ... what volumn of traffic are you planning on dealing with ?

I'd opt away from the entry level VPS .. and go for the one up from that ...
Windows or Linux VPS hosting with plesk - debian,ubuntu,opensuses,centos - virtual servers - virtualisation

was looking at the second level option, I have linked to it, and I know what i'm looking for, regarding hard drive, plesk and all that, just wondering, can it be considered safe for the likes of an ecommerce site to be hosted on it? or indeed, can be considered safe for any personal information to pass through it?

Forbairt

well its a separate system ... not shared hosting ...

How safe it will be will be up to you ...

if you're logging in via http ... then its not safe ... so ensure you get an ssl cert .. use good passwords and so on and keep your cart of choice up to date with the latest patches

nevf

well its a separate system ... not shared hosting ...

How safe it will be will be up to you ...

if you're logging in via http ... then its not safe ... so ensure you get an ssl cert .. use good passwords and so on and keep your cart of choice up to date with the latest patches

Nifty!
Thank you Forbairt.
answers my question perfectly.

I kinda knew that anyway, but I was just definitely making sure I wasn't buying a pig in the bag, as I have done before.
There's no doubt about, I'll be purchasing an SSl cert.

One question that did make me wonder though, should I go with windows or linux? Does it matter for a php app like magento really?
On shared hosting, I would be competent of using Apache on linux servers. Not my money I'm spending so I'm just making sure :D

Forbairt

Hmmm.... check out what the majority of people are using the cart software on. Check if there are any problems with it.

My gut would say go linux ... .htaccess and mod rewrite is nice :)

Apart from that I'm more comfortable with *nix systems ( well the file systems ... ssh .. and so on)

Remember if you're connecting to the site set up sftp or scp for file transfers as well.

nevf

Hmmm.... check out what the majority of people are using the cart software on. Check if there are any problems with it.

My gut would say go linux ... .htaccess and mod rewrite is nice :)

Apart from that I'm more comfortable with *nix systems ( well the file systems ... ssh .. and so on)

Remember if you're connecting to the site set up sftp or scp for file transfers as well.
Magento - System Requirements - Open Source eCommerce Evolved

Linux it is.

• Supported Operating Systems:
    • Linux x86, x86-64

Status
Not open for further replies.