what's a 'mid-weight web designer?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgan spice

I've seen this phrase a lot on job sites etc.

I assumed it means, not junior, not senior, but in the middle.

is that correct?

Pixelcraft

that's what I would take from it, unless they have small deskspace, and actually need a mid-weight person?

morgan spice

lol.. maybe it was a stupid question.

it's just that i saw an add this morning for a midweight web designer in london + the wage was fairly big - £200 per day, so £52K annually.

But i always presumed an employer would only put a title like 'mid-weight' if it was in reference to what they were willing to pay.

UTD Web

Probably looking for someone not too fat and not too slim to fit behind the desk... :)

Hee hee... I suppose they'll be looking for our BMIs next before starting work...

According to the WII fit I'm obese... **** sake, my mother always told me I was big boned...

It's all muscle though, I swear!

neweb

Don't mention the wii fit

Not only will it tell you you'r are over weight but it also shows your little screen person blowing up :D

I fix that problem. I just don't get on it any more. :D

UTD Web

good solution...

that ****in football game is great, managed to clear the first one, but advanced is just hectic... ****in pandas and football boots flying everywhere.

something about the nintendo is just funner than the other consoles, though I think the PS3 is the ultimate console, anyone else agree?

(sorry for going way off topic)

websitedesign

Never heard of mid-weight before... but yeah middle class designer likely with 2-5 years experience with some weaknesses to work on.

sparky

It means they don't want a beginner, they want someone who has a skillset and can hit the ground running, but who won't be asking for silly money.

Hope that helps!

Rgds

TheMenace

The 'weight' of a designer really depends on two things:

• Raw creative talent and the knowledge of the technical tool set.
  • Their experience in terms of attitude in the work place, ability to understand, realise a brief and knowledge of the production process, etc.
I've worked with designers with only a few of years experience who could be considered at 'heavyweight' or Creative Director level. I've worked with designers with two decades of experience who are still at junior level. So experience is only a small part of it - some folk will simply never graduate it seems.

I'd consider middleweight designers to be at the precarious stage where they're getting good and a bit more egotistical but are still struggling a bit with collaborating and process, fully understanding limitations of technology, usability, etc. and need a few more years before they have a full understanding of the medium they're designing for. All too many middleweight Web designers will find themselves stuck in that rut as, even though they're very creatively talented, they refuse to design sensibly for the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.