Which Forum Software to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zascar

I've used PHPBB (v2) and I don't like it much. Loads of spam, add ons are difficult to install and its not really that powerful.

I'm starting a new site and want to chose somehting else. Yes, I know vBulletin is the best but its just for a very small no profit site and I'm too tight to shell out myself.

So, I have heard Simple Machines Forum is good, but has anyone here used it?

I want something that's SEO compatible if possible.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Cormac

All forums are SEO compatible, some may be more SEO'able than others though.

To be honest, in relation to forum SEO you're looking for clean structured urls with keywords, no session ids in the urls, individual meta keyword/descriptions for each forum category, sitemap ability, RSS, and finally someone who knows what they're doing so that they can actually get the forum visible in SE's.

The forums listed below are the most popular free and OS forums available to you. I would advise you to download and run each one locally to test drive them for yourself for functionality.

GetVanilla - Vanilla - Free, Open-Source Forum Software
PunBB - PunBB
PHPBB3 - phpBB • Creating Communities Worldwide
The forum which comes with Joomla - Joomla! Community Forum - Index
SMF - Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software
BBPress (from Wordpress) - bbPress » Home

Also, register on each support forum and begin a thread asking about SEO features.

I have only used VB and PHPBB myself but Vanilla looks really nice and simple to use. Vanilla and BBPress both use clean URLs for forum categories and threads, I'm not sure about the rest.

PHPBB3 and SMF look like the most feature rich and extensible of the options.

I've used PHPBB (v2) and I don't like it much. Loads of spam,
Version 3 is out. Have you tried that?

Zascar

Thanks Rollo.

No I have not tried V3, I heard it was not quite ready yet. Is it good?

I want a feature rich forum, as many more advanced features as possible - or as close to vBulletin as possible. If the forum takes off I will buy vBulletin so it has to be able to upgrade.

Which would be best do you think?

paul

Ninja
(IMHO) phpBB is the best free one and vbulletin is the best paid one. You can easily import phpBB into vbulletin.

You may need to install some antiSPAM hacks onto the phpBB forum.

Zascar

I think it will be either SMF or PHPBB v3. I might try upgrading my current PHPBB v2 to v3 and see how that works out...

GID

paul said:
You can easily import phpBB into vbulletin.
how do I do that? I can't find the "restore database" link or something like that in the admincp :(

I'm using PHPBB3 RC5.

ziycon

I would have to say SMF, been using it for years with not one piece of spam, full of easy to addon features.

silentloki

hmmmm what about IPB?

Phpbb defo is be best free one...
But as for the best on the market i got to go with Invision IPB.... they are leading the way.... oh its not that dear...

bucks

I used phpbb at first and when i knew the site had become popular i bought a vBulletin licence and upgraded, was very easy to import the phpBB forum into vBulletin.

Status
Not open for further replies.