Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiecasey

I love 2 or 3 monitors but I'm not sure where I'd put them.

http://www.weeno.ie/clients/IWF/mydesk.jpg

that's me as well at the mo, a 17 inch dell laptop. but moving into proper offices in town and getting a proper desktop. everything proper. looking at 2 dell 24inch lcd's on the desk which should be loads after being used to just a laptop all these years. and a 3rd wall mounted with sky news or something.

will post pics if i ever get it sorted

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
that's me as well at the mo, a 17 inch dell laptop. but moving into proper offices in town and getting a proper desktop. everything proper. looking at 2 dell 24inch lcd's on the desk which should be loads after being used to just a laptop all these years. and a 3rd wall mounted with sky news or something.

Where you planning on moving into ? :) (think the home office is getting me down)

I'm not so sure about the 24inch lcd's ... whats the max resolution on them ?

Ah just saw they are up at 1920x1200 wow ... :)
Still the 22 inch benq took me some getting used to for coding its just too big almost only 1680x1050 resolution though. Remember if you're in a public.. ish office you'd need a license to display TV ? (or am I wrong)

georgiecasey

@forbairt, yeah 1920x1200. about 400 each on ebay, not too bad.

moving to one of my fathers one bed apartments in ennis which he can't rent out as domestic and is designated as domestic so a real company can't get public liability insurance. 70 euro a week, it's for nothing. class location in the middle of the town, a bit of arsing about and it'll look grand.

with the ****e rte spew out, not a hope i'll be paying for a license!

Forbairt

ah not an office office as such :)

I'd still recommend you try out the 24inch lcd first ... they are ... HUGE but I think you get used to them :) (I'm assuming you don't already have one ... )

VA would kill me if I bring anymore hardware into the house at the moment I think ..

Drop us a PM who you end up buying em from (if its a supplier on ebay .. a quick search showed them at 249£ which is not bad at all)

I'd also recommend you get a small monitor (17inch) or have another computer with a standard display so you can compare sites and not just have it widescreen (yes know the various firefox plugins will resize but theres still nothing quite like the true bog standard size)

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com

Yea it makes miss my dublin office. There I had my laptop and a extra 22" LCD. (As did the guy I work with.)There was countless bog standard towers, CRTs and laptops knocking about running everthing from NT4 to Vista and all the in betweens. Nearly always another CRT planked on our desk for connecting towers two. There is a brand new dell server sitting in its box on the floor that we haven't had time to set up yet. In the back office we have 3 racks with 5 IVR severs, 1 SMS server, 1 Web server, 2 File servers and a host of modems, switches routers and 2 UPS's.

NO Mac's! (They are just shiny toys for people who are into what's in fashion really :) )

The benefit is that we have almost every type of platform scenario for testing.

Forbairt

You'd need a very good video card to run 3 monitors, or maybe get 2 duel cards.

To be honest the first review I came across is using pretty dated cards :)
3 Monitors with ATI RADEON 9000 cards

(wondering if I go hacking my machines or if I buy a new machine this year maybe with a sli setup ...
I could also just add in a spare graphics card on a PCI slot ... assuming it'd work ... I'm very close to getting a 3 monitor setup ... just need to figure out desk space)

EdenWeb

I don't think you're mad Fobairt.
I've a 24" Dell flatscreen and thinking of getting another small 12" just for mail. First thing I realised with the 24" was how much time it saved being able to have 2 apps open at the same time and not having to alt-tab all the time.

Send us a photo when you're set up

Forbairt

I've a 24" Dell flatscreen and thinking of getting another small 12" just for mail.

Think the price difference of a 12inch vrs a 17inch / 19inch would be negligible 17inch samsung on komplett is just under 200 quid .. and no doubt if you shop around you'll find cheaper around.

Its nice to have the monitors line up roughly though when you move things across from one screen to the other. Also if you went with a 12inch monitor I think you'd end up kicking yourself later on as you realise this could be used for anything not just mail.

My current setup is the 22inch and the 17inch ... though having seen the resolution on the 24inch is up at 1920 ? ... maybe I'll go the route of upgrading to a 24inch. I don't really have the space right now on the desk. So it means I'll have to get another desk and reorganise the office a bit which would be no hard given its a mess.

nevf

In january, for the craic really, I connected my laptop up to 3 other screens. I had a 42" widescreen, a 32" widescreen, a 19" monitor and the 17" monitor on my laptop all connected up, then 1 keyboard, 1 mouse. Flight Sim x began to freeze and I figured out a way to extend the airbus a380 across all four screens, however, i had the tv's arranged wrong and the left wing was beside the right wing...

A very funny night, and I wish i had a photo, but I'm never going to do it again, because the next day, my eyes were really painful and my neck was cramped...

Status
Not open for further replies.