domain names and local places for acupuncture practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliana

I set up a website for my wife's acupuncture practice in Galway with the domain name galwayacupuncture.ie 3 months ago, which was quickly indexed etc. and places well for a variety of keyword searches on google, yahoo, msn.
My wife is now also in Athlone and I need to change the website to add the new town and county. Any suggestions on how to do this? I am of course trying to avoid this appearing spammy...
A web search suggests to either register the name for athloneacupuncture and have it then redirected to the galwayacupuncture.ie site, or add the new domain name site to my existing hoster default folder of my existing website.
Thanks in advance for any help,

louie

That's not going to do anything for you.
Better, mention Athlone on the home page, or even better create a separate page dedicated to Athlone itself with a coverage map, some text, etc. and link it from the home page itself...

Juliana

Thanks,
yeah, I forgot to mention that the idea was to mention athlone in text and have page title, description etc. optimised for Athlone and Westmeath as well, but thought that having the name of 'galway' might miss some people...

louie

It doesn't redirect for me at the moment and it seems you have 2 websites with the same content.
If I were you I would just create a home page on the athlone one with short specification that you are covering the Athlone area but give a link to the Galway website using a relative anchor text.

Below that a small paragraph about Acupuncture and once again link to the Galway website.

Juliana

Well, the idea was that the name athloneacupuncture.ie would simply bring viewers to the galwayacupuncture.ie site. So, it really is just one site but both names get you there; this isn't problematical is it? Seems to be working.

louie

The second website is just a duplicated version of the first one and might never achieve the ranking you are after.

Juliana

Well, I wasn't trying to get www.athloneacupuncture.ie ranked, but simply to be trafficked to www.galwayacupuncture.ie which is indexed, ranked, etc. So the ranking is for one site, for example when advertising my business in Athlone I can use the athlone domain, but if some google's for athlone and health, as in this example from a couple of days ago of 'medicine and health athlone', my galwaysite comes #2 http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&c...sU&q=medicine+and+health+athlone&start=0&sa=N
Is this workable?

MPC

you need to use robots text to block google access to the the new athlone url otherwise you may get a duplicate content penalty. If you are not trying to rank for Athlone then you need to put a permanent 301 redirect to the Galway site.

but then it does not make sense why you bought the athlone url in the 1st place. best thing to do is to create unique content for the Athlone site and try rank for it. Why not? you have the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.