Google Introduce Personalised Search for signed out users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dara

Its certainly going to make things a lot more interesting with regards SEO thats for sure. Its the usual ploy by the big G to get more spend on adwords I'd suggest. As with anything new they roll out time will tell a lot more.

Redfly

I posted about it here: Primary Position SEO Blog Ireland: Google Personalised Search

Its really odd but I think it only shows one domain out of ten as a personalised result - the others are still "organic"

It was such a pain when it wasn't public but hey....

I think you're part right David. I've been doing a lot of reading up on this over the past week. Have a look at this:

The SEO guide to Google personalized search | Search Engine Optimization | Search Engines

Dave (Yes, another one!) pretty much nails it there and it's in line with what I'm seeing too. I printed out all those linked patent docs and I'm just about finished. I'd say 2,3 or 4 is more on the money but it varies across verticals.

I think there's going to be a new wave of "deception" in the SEPRs as a result of this. ie: The clickthrough is now as important, of not more important, than the conversion.

Niche

I just think that by messing with their one strong point, relevance, they might almost be handing the baton to bing

link8r

Thanks Dave - I was reading it over the weekend - from your post on twitter.

At the moment, as a search user I'm just annoyed, I have to keep checking if its turned on personlisation or not. And given the write ups on the various Biometric assessments (which I've doubt they're using - the cookie seems adequate and is probably related to any signed in accounts (as they don't give away secrets to other users - just to Google who knows thats one of your PC's) - I still don't "trust" the results.

I'm sure this isn't a problem for average users (ignore truly is bliss).

I think vanity SERP's were always just that. We all know 60 - 70% of traffic can come from longer search phrases - if it's too narrow, then you may have very little content. I have have 8/9 keywords in a search phrase - using minus and other paramaters.

The funny thing is I also have a good memory. If I want wikipedia results, I put wiki into the search or epic etc...

[Back to RedFly's comments:] When I play with SearchWiki - the up / down arrows seem to let you push things up - right up or right back. So going on the video and that (as superbly scientific as that is) - I was going on that :)

Redfly

I think there are FAR greater implications to this that we are just not seeing yet. I believe Google will (if they are not already) using a type of benchmark and relational ranking algorithm.

For example, if you do a search for "ice cream" and click on HB.com and I do a search for "ice cream" and click on HB.com and then refine my search and click on benandjerrys.com, I believe you may see benandjerrys.com the next time you search (assuming we share other search traits).

This actually makes some sense and can be a huge signal for spam reduction/eradication.

I think 2010 will be an interesting year.

Status
Not open for further replies.