Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy

Hi can anyone tell me where i could find who has the market share for .ie domains names in Ireland.

So what hosts have what percentage opf the market, or just how many .ie registered and i can work out the ahre myself?/

Thanks

Tammy

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The data isn't public.

The top 5 would probably be:

Hosting365
Blacknight
Novara
Letshost
IrishDomains

The exact order of that list is not 100% certain, unless you are privy to the IEDR's data

Tammy

.ie marjet share

The data isn't public.

The top 5 would probably be:

Hosting365
Blacknight
Novara
Letshost
IrishDomains

The exact order of that list is not 100% certain, unless you are privy to the IEDR's data

I know the data would not be public, but how could it be obtained? Plus thought top 5 would br

Hosting365
Digiweb
Blacknight
Letshost
IrishDomains

Im looking for raw data on just .ie market share nothing else, there must be someone who can give me this information?

Tammy

maybe you can pay for the report Domain and Hoster Statistics From WhoisIreland get in touch with JMCC

Ok i understand, can you tell me if the report that he does, gives you a breakdown of the marketshare in Ireland for .ie domains e.g

Hosting365 6589 .ie domains
Digiweb.ie 4376 .ie domains

Does the report do that? And would anyone have a copy of the report for the month of April that l could view to see what the reports look like?

Thanks guys

jmcc

Hi can anyone tell me where i could find who has the market share for .ie domains names in Ireland.

So what hosts have what percentage opf the market, or just how many .ie registered and i can work out the ahre myself?/
Working it out is a lot more complicated than it looks. The current number of .ie domains is 103241.

They would be ordered as follows:
(combined Irish market = com/net/org/biz/info/ie)

Hosting365.ie: 16.37% combined.
Blacknightsolutions.com: 8.81% combined.
Novara.ie: 6.36% combined.
Irishdomains.net: 4.72% combined.
Eircom.net: 4.52% combined.
Letshost.ie: 5.8% combined.
Webhostingireland.ie: 3.5% combined.
Digiweb.ie: 4.1% combined.
Hostireland.com: 2.85% combined.
Webhost.ie: 2.44% combined.

It is more complicated because these hosters often host across different nameservers. Digiweb and Novara still have not merged completely in statistical terms. Hosters can sometimes claim nameservers on their IP ranges in cumulative market share. The main growth each month is limited to a few top hosters (Hosting365, Blacknight, Letshost, Digiweb/Novara). The ISPs are treading water with their historical marketshares but are not exhibiting any serious growth.

The figures above are from 01/May/2008. The number of registered .ie domains at that time was 101156. Every hoster (currently 1072272 distinct hosters) in com/net/org/biz/info/ie/mobi/asia is tracked here. The databases also track approximately 2.61M .eu domains and 3.92M .co.uk domains. The stats are produced monthly. The Irish market report is a 26 spreadsheet report and as such it would be a bit difficult to post here.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Ok i understand, can you tell me if the report that he does, gives you a breakdown of the marketshare in Ireland for .ie domains e.g

Hosting365 6589 .ie domains
Digiweb.ie 4376 .ie domains
Those figures are quite old.

This a post I put on the blog which provides the figures from 2007:
Top Irish Web Hosters - June 2007 - WhoisIreland Review

I may get around to posting some recent figures later today. I've been a bit busy putting together a database of all com/net/org/biz/info etc domain registrations/deletions/movements since 2000 along with the statistical record of every hoster since 2000.

Does the report do that? And would anyone have a copy of the report for the month of April that l could view to see what the reports look like?
That would be grounds for termination. :) Why not ask me directly?

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
That would be perfect, cant understand why its not there already, not you but iedr dont do that?
Because some people don't want the figures to be in the public domain.

The IEDR publish monthly figures, but they don't refer to the companies by name and since their figures are based on sales not dns they won't collate exactly with jmcc's figures of where the domains are hosted.

In either case why are you so interested?

Tammy

Omg, why are you hosts sooo paranoid about everything, you live in your own little world. 365 if you say yous as good as you say you are, why should it worry you about these figures??

Let me know when you have come clean, jesus guys, your small fish in a small market get over yourselves.

hosting365

Tammy,

My comments were in regard to your disrespect for the amount of effort and time John puts into his figures. Market data and intelligence are not 'free' things you can simply demand on a public forum.

Ireland is a tiny market, I doubt any of us have ever said otherwise :)

As for paranoia, why not simply tell us who you are and why you want the info, and I'll happily give you exact numbers ;)

jmcc

Omg, why are you hosts sooo paranoid about everything, you live in your own little world. 365 if you say yous as good as you say you are, why should it worry you about these figures??
Leaving apart the rather childish response, you still have not identified your interest in the figures.

Let me know when you have come clean, jesus guys, your small fish in a small market get over yourselves.
Actually they are not. They are killer whales in a large bay. While the Irish market is small compared to the UK or the US, it is still a very competitive market. The ISPs are being utterly demolished by second and third generation hosting service providers. Only Digiweb had the brains to buy its way out of the classic ISP death spiral and I am still not sure if that will work out. U.TV bought a design firm which boosted its count but it continues to exhibit the same kind of ISP losses. Eircom.net had something like 1% growth compared to the same month a year ago. It is barely beating the small web developers (the lower Tier 3 and Tier 4 "pseudo" hosters) in terms of growth per month. BTIreland stopped being a player years ago. Its management don't seem to have a clue about retail hosting and it, along with Eircom.net, lost a market dominant position compared to this time even five years ago. As for the opportunities that Eircom, BTIreland lost in the last year or so, it is amazing that they retain the marketshares that they have. In real terms, the ISPs in Ireland are largely trading off their historical clientbase. The database I've been working on here (hence my being relatively quiet in posting terms for days at a time) shows the history of domains and the statistics for each hoster back to 2000 and the historical domain breakdown for hosters is something that I am working on at the moment. There seems to be a point at which a hoster switches from being a forward looking market player to one being concerned with maintaining its historical clients. At that point, new registrations and transfer volume collapses. Some of these effects only become apparent in the long term. And these databases are probably more comprehensive than even domaintools.com as they go back farther and cover more domains and provide secondary dns tracking - something that is essential in ccTLD operations because of the linked DNSes (com/ccTLD variants of the same DNSes).

Providing summary stats is not the issue. It is the manner in which you never bothered to ask directly for them and refused to declare your interest. Now if you'd be so good as to declare your interest it may move things forward.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.