Is it cool to say you don't Link Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

kflanagan28

Hey

Just a question on linking. Most people who work in SEO seem to agree link exchanges are "so 3 years ago". It doesn't take much for Google to not pass on much weight from links in blog rolls, links pages (that sit on links.html/php pages), links in footers etc etc.

But I have still seen and do see sites ranking 1 for keywords with nothing more than throw away links as per above. Granted these links were acquired over the past 3 years and have aged but they still seem to be passing on some link juice.

When asked these days, most SEO people would say linking has to be more progressive and take into account the huge benefit of acquiring links through social activity (although this can still be difficult to manage). But at times it can be hard to acquire a link and completely stay away from actual link pages.

I guess what I am asking is would people cite link exchaning as being a dead technique but still do a little of it on the side as we are still not 100% sure if those links are dead (in terms of passing on rank). Or do people simply not do this full stop.

Only honest answers please :)

garycocs

Do you reckon Google are paying more and more attention to strong (High PR) links from sites with no reciprocal link on yours??

MPC

I'd go pretty much with what you are saying here. I still think its worth doing but obviously not with link directorys full of junk.

If you find a decent site on topic with yours then I think its worth linking with but preferably within content and not on a designated "links" page (though these definteley can't be completely ruled out IMO).

Often you see competitiors ranking well with tons of recip links on pages that are no longer maintained but still holding some value.

but still do a little of it on the side as we are still not 100% sure if those links are dead (in terms of passing on rank). Or do people simply not do this full stop.

Only honest answers please :)

gbonnet

I think google cannot completely ignore link exchanges since they are common in website even for non SEO purposes.

I would definitely avoid links pages and I clearly stay away from most directories (I guess I regisred in less than 5 directories in the past 6 months and they were all very precise on their niche).

Making some link echanges here and there doesn't hurt when your site also has more links from other sources : articles, social media, forums, blogs ... wherever ... I guess variety is the key.

Something I noticed over the last year is that the anchor of the link has taken more and more importance.

I found this article especially useful:
Link Building Strategies: 69 Solid Tactics For 2009 | Wiep.net
It gives quite a few tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.