Status
Not open for further replies.

sticker

Hey all,

I've gone for hosting with Digiweb - the basic €20 per annum lark for a friend who has a club website. He had the domain elsewhere, but after much ado, Digiweb finally got the transition over to them. They now have domain and hosting for the site.

However, every time I upload a change to the site (using Filezilla) no changes appear in my browser for a few days!! I can manually type in new urls and they appear in Firefox, but the site shows no changes after refreshing and clearing history etc...

I've done a plethora of sites for mates and clubs and such, and the change is always instantaneous with other hosting services. I contacted them and they tell me that UPC (my ISP) obviously hasn't updated their DNS servers or something like that.

Any thoughts people?

Thanks in advance!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried pinging the site from your desktop to see if the IP is on the Digiweb network or not?

sticker

Have you tried pinging the site from your desktop to see if the IP is on the Digiweb network or not?

Hey Blacknight, thanks for your reply -

No, I haven't - I'm unsure how to do this, can you tell me how?

EDIT: - I downloaded and uploaded this software to the "server" http://www.scriptsgenerator.com/page3.html But don't know how to proceed - the home page just says "install in 1 minute" - I'm a little lost, no help on the homepage for the app!

redoktober

Hey sticker, if you want to ping it open up a command prompt window/DOS Window (if you're using Windows) and type ping domain.com (where domain is your name) and hit return. The ping result will come back with an ip, something like 11.22.33.44, search for that IP on Ripes database (open google and search for 'query ripe database', first result, i'm not allowed to post URL until i have 10 posts... pfff...) and it'll show you who owns it.

If all is setup correctly, ie. the nameservers or DNS records are pointing at Digiweb your site changes should come up automatically. They also use hsphere so make sure you pop your content into the folder called 'domain.com' (where domain is your website address) on the FTP server.

Hope that helps!

sticker

Hey all,

I entered the domain in the command prompt and it did give me an IP but then a string of "Request timed out" (x4)
Packets: sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

This info was on the RIPE report:

HTML:
inetnum:         78.137.166.0 - 78.137.166.255
netname:         DIGIWEB-HOSTING-NET
descr:           Digiweb Hosting [5]
remarks:         INFRA-AW
admin-c:         DGWB1-RIPE
tech-c:          DGWB1-RIPE
status:          ASSIGNED PA [IMG]http://www.db.ripe.net/images/icons/whois-definition.gif[/IMG]
mnt-by:          DIGIWEB-MNT
source:          RIPE # Filtered
role:            Digiweb Network Engineering
nic-hdl:         DGWB1-RIPE
address:         Digiweb Ltd.
address:         IDA Business Park
address:         Dundalk
address:         Co. Louth
address:         Republic of Ireland
phone:           +353 (42) 9393300
fax-no:          +353 (42) 9396410
abuse-mailbox:   abuse@digiweb.ie
admin-c:         MK8976-RIPE
admin-c:         SP6591-RIPE
tech-c:          MK8976-RIPE
tech-c:          SP6591-RIPE
% Information related to '78.137.128.0/18AS31122'
route:           78.137.128.0/18
descr:           Digiweb Ltd
origin:          AS31122
I see references to Digiweb, does the packet loss mean anything?

Thanks

redoktober

That's fine, they're probably just blocking ICMP requests, I have a site or two hosted with them too but I can't ping them and they're up.

But your site is resolving to a Digiweb IP address, so all is pointed in the right direct. It may be a caching issue at your end all right.

Have you a second machine to try it out on? Even a second browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome? Might be worth a try.

sticker

I've tired on my second PC, and cleared the cache - same business.

When you say you've had simular issues with Digiweb, is it due to a lacking service or is it out of their control?

Thanks for the help all...

redoktober

Nope, i haven't had any issues with them at all. I was pointing out that I can't ping my site on there hosting services too but the sites are up.

Have you tried anything outside of your own network, connection at home, like a friends PC?

Are you sure you're uploading the content to the right directory?

Dotwebs

I had similar problems a few years ago when I was using satellite dish for broadband - there was a cache on the box outside my workstation so it was beyond my control. Drove me nuts! It stopped when I moved onto DSL. Maybe your problem could be to do with your broadband connection too.

sticker

I had similar problems a few years ago when I was using satellite dish for broadband - there was a cache on the box outside my workstation so it was beyond my control. Drove me nuts! It stopped when I moved onto DSL. Maybe your problem could be to do with your broadband connection too.

I'm with NTL - would their service (tv aline as apposed to phone line) potentialy have this problem?

The odd thing is I can uplaod and see immediate change with all other servers I use...?!

...wierd!

Status
Not open for further replies.