Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
For some mad reason I bought The Guillotine and will be shoving it on a server at some point over the next few days

It's quirky etc.,

The problem is monetising it

Any ideas?

Adsense won't really work I don't think (who bids on guillotine related keywords?)

Gavin

Oh now that is a difficult one.

Maybe advertise some Amazon books or try placing Google adsense on the bottom for a few weeks and see what ads start showing.

Its a nice site anyway. :)

louie

you could try some horror or anything that will be in the same league.
You'll be surprised how many people like the "suspense"

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The Adsense preview tool tells me that it ain't gonna do too well on that front :)

I was thinking about the amazon stuff alright, but I think the site may need some more content first..

It is nice, but you have to admit - it's damn quirky :)

louie

If you are into this kind of stuff and know it well you can easily expand the topic (related) to create a large community or your own review about related topics. This way it will grow and sooner or later will cash in.

dude

Question:

Wy does everything have to be about making money?

Doesn't anyone make/run websites for non-commerical reasons anymore?

louie

To run a website, maintain and make sure it runs alright require a lot of time, experience (doesn't come cheap), and some money, so there must a target do to so otherwise the website will run for a while then you loose interest and it goes down the drain.

Put it this way - why the staff working for a "CHARITY" company gets paid, and why all the directors of this "CHARITY" company are always driving "NICE" cars?

The other day I got a phone call from one of this type of company and they wanted me to work for "CHARITY" and they did emphasise this word in our conversation few times, so my answer was NO, NO, NO. I will do it for a fraction of the normal price but nothing is free so ....

dude

:)

Well, call me old fashioned, but I prefered the days pre-Google AdSense. There's something creepy about adverts on people's blogs... (etc.)

I guess I just don't like the way the Internet has just become another money making tool...

louie

I think Internet was always a money making tool, but here in Ireland was only born few years back (5-6 maybe a Little earlier).

Cormac

The times have changed Dude, the times have changed.

The Internet is a lot more popular now and there are a lot of part-timers putting in a lot of effort into their websites and blogs. Should they not get rewarded for providing valuable information?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
:)

Well, call me old fashioned, but I prefered the days pre-Google AdSense. There's something creepy about adverts on people's blogs... (etc.)

I guess I just don't like the way the Internet has just become another money making tool...

If people weren't making a bit of money from websites they wouldn't be able to put time and effort into them

If you take this site as an example, there are several costs involved:

Domain names - several domains to protect the "brand"
Vbulletin license
VBSeo license
Vbulletin plugins
Hosting - it's on one of my personal servers, but I paid for the hardware and spend time making sure that the servers are kept up to date etc.,

Design costs - none to date, as some people have been very generous

georgiecasey

Are you making any of that back yet blacknight? I started making websites back in 1998 and would (probably) still be doing it now even if there wasn't the possibility of making money. But the moneys nice :). Imagine being able to earn a living off the proceeds of websites alone, it'd be great.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
On this site? Not really - no :)

I don't run websites to make wads of cash - I have a day job !

Status
Not open for further replies.