Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldf

Hi All

I am building a website and i need to add in a blog, so that the owners can put up latest news etc from themselves. This is the only part of the website that they want to have control over ( the rest of the site will be static ) , the thing is that they want the blog to be as simple as possible for them to use.

I was wondering would anyone have any advice on which would be the best , simplest to use/maintain and the easiest to install on a website from the ones that are out there. I was looking at Word Press and Blogger but if anyone knows of any others that i should look at can you let me know. Or if you have had any dealings with either of the 2 above can you let me know what you taught of them.

Again though for the people that i'm building the site for the blog has to be very simple for them to use, so i would be really thankful for anybodies opinion on this.

All the best.

garycocs

Wordress, easy.

It's actually not that hard to plug a basic site template into it.

pauldf

Hi

Thanks for your post. Do you reckon that Wordpress would be easy on their ( owners ) end to use?

Ah the template would be basic enough so i'll hold you to your statement of it not been that hard to get a basic site template up and going with Wordpress ha ha

I take it you have to add a database on your server for Wordpress to work yeah? I don't suppose they made it easy and had one already over there to download and just fill in your details? sorry i'm just been lazy now :)

Thanks again for your post.

garycocs

Ya pretty straight forward back end add posts, pages or links.

Ya you need a database, most CMS do, but once you add this in the control panel of the host providers it's pretty easy to install. Just upload it to the server point it to the DB and away you go.

If you are doing web dev it's definitely worth investigating further.

Any questions just put them up and I'll try and get back to you.

In exchange for some movie review tweets of course :D

mporgsoft

See if your web host has Fantastico as an option in cpanel. If so installing wordpress can be as easy naming the folder to install in and clicking Install.

I use wordpress and as stated the admin/backend is very user friendly. You will have a choise of thousands of themes to chose from as well.

pauldf

Hi

Thanks for posting back. I checked and the only thing in the control panel is a program called WordPress V2.3.3 that it give me the option of installing.

Sorry all, but I think i'm making this harder then it is. After talking to the people, all they want is each of them to have their own WordPress account / page. Then on the main website they will all have their own page, 5 in all.
Each page will contain some bio information about that person, and then say on the top right of the screen there will be a box that contains feeds from their WordPress page, that when some one clicks that feed they are then brought straight to the main WordPress page of that person. The feed box on the website will have to be able to update itself as soon as a new post is posted on the WordPress blog page.

Twitter have exactly what they are looking for. You get the plugin code off twitter and when you add the html code to the webpage a twitter box will appear on the webpage and as soon as they post a tweet it not only appears on their twitter page but it appears in the twitter box on the main website as well and if someone clicks on the tweet in the twitter box on the main website they are brought to the twitter page of that person.
Instead of looking at installing WordPress on the main website should i be looking more closely at adding RSS feeds from WordPress to a Website. Does WordPress have a plugin like twitter has?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time to venture into the world of adding blogs to a website etc.

Thanks again for all your help

mporgsoft

Hi again,

You will want to visit that WordPress install option again and install.

It sounds like your clients want their own private blog and then another blog where all there articles/posts are joined.

Create 6 WordPress installs. 1 for the consolidation of all the accounts and 5 for the 5 different clients. At least install the main blog on the main site.

On the main blog you will use a autoblogger plugin. Feedwordpress is a good option. On each of your clients own blog there you will grab the url for their RSS feed and add all 5 different feeds into the Feedwordpress plugin so that the main site updates automatically with new posts from the other 5 blogs. Also, you mentioned autotweeting and such. There are many plugins available for Wordpress that allows the post to be tweeted.

Best advice is setup your clients individual blogs first and even yourself one so you can get the feel of how it works. From the backend admin area you have full access to themes and plugins for customizing. By time you setup those accounts you should be comfortable enough to setup the main account and add the autoblogger plugin.

pauldf

Hi

Thanks again for posting back.

Talking to the clients, they just want 1 blog per person and that the blog they have, the post will only appear on their own separate webpage and not appear on anyone else's webpage / blog.

Example
Client 1 :

Client 1 will have a WordPress page ( private ). When he/she posts a blog on their WordPress , it will only appear as a link on their private website page and not any of the other clients website pages. It doesn't have to be the full blog post that appears on the website just something like: "this is my new post" with the link underneath it wordpress.co - webarchiv Resources and Information....

Sorry for all the questions but i really want to get my head around this.
When you say create 6 WordPress installs do you mean on the clients server create 6 databases, or actually install the WordPress V2.3.3 , 6 times and each time paste in the address of the clients personal WordPress page?
Can i also 'install' the autoblogger plugin 6 times for each of the clients personal WordPress pages so that it grabs the rss feeds for the individual blogs and posts them on the website page.

They don't actually want one main blog post where all the feeds appear from all 6 people, they want to keep every blog / feed separate from one another so that each person is responsible for what they post on their blog and that their posts will not reflect on anyones else's opinion.

Thanks again for your help with this

Status
Not open for further replies.