Status
Not open for further replies.

Expand.ie

Hey, does anybody have any tips on how to effectively use social networks such as twitter, facebook etc. There are many posts about the internet about how it is usefull but not many about how to actually use them to your business' advantage.

Cheers,

Stuart

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'll give you one word: engage

A silly number of the businesses on twitter and elsewhere do not engage with users at any level and basically use their twitter accounts to blast out promotions and very little else. There's nothing wrong with using your Twitter account to communicate special offers, but Twitter like anything else, is a place where people "hang out" and ultimately people do business with people

link8r

Just want to agree with BK - and encourage you to do the same. If you just start broadcasting your products/services then people will just not follow you. You need to join the conversation and bring something to the table.

Its like attending a global networking event. Chat, engage, shoot the breeze. People who are discussing topics that overlap your area of expertise/business could benefit from your knowledge and advice.

MayaLocke

I'm in agreement that you need to become part of the conversation. You cannot simply shout your message and expect it to work, you need to engage.

I would watch the conversation to understand the culture of the social network before you join in, as what is or isn't acceptable may vary from one to another.

HTH

eteanga

I'm using both Twitter and Facebook. While I prefer Twitter as a tool in itself, I've found Facebook to be better for subtle interaction. You can broadcast site changes, new services, etc, and people can just click "I like this" on the story. Also, you can watch your friend stream and comment on anything that you have relevant input for.

Perhaps Facebook is built for the masses more, in a way that Twitter doesn't draw you in to interacting with others in more subtle ways than tweeting.

Expand.ie

Thanks for the responses guys, would love to see your facebook and twitter sites eteanga.

I can understand how businesses use twitter but facebook and linked in eludes me still:confused:.

Donagh

Hey, does anybody have any tips on how to effectively use social networks such as twitter, facebook etc. There are many posts about the internet about how it is usefull but not many about how to actually use them to your business' advantage.

Cheers,

Stuart

I recently set up on twitter, facebook and LinkedIn also. I have to agree with the others, engaging and communication with the community is vital. It's like everywhere really. If a guy turned up at your front door and started telling you about what service he's offering you'd just shut the door on his face (We've all done it :D ) Whereas if you have a pre-existing relationship with him your more inclined to at least listen to what he's got to say.

Although I haven't gone in depth in it, from what I make of it LinkedIn for business is more or less limited to setting up your profile and having it link to your perosonal page.

Facebook is OK. I like the way you can create events and integrating apps is good too. you can create a buzz of sorts if you've got something happening, a sale or whatever.

With Twitter I think it's important to pay attention to who's twittering about you and to reply promplty to any direct messages.

Loopthing: Business Networking is a business networking site that I'm working on. It might be of use to you if as you say you are looking to gain an advantage from a social network.

eteanga

Expand.ie, the Facebook profile is:

http :// en-gb.facebook.com/people/Focloir-Gaeilge/1671902036

Donagh, I love the design!

K

Kieran

All of below are just my personal opinions...

Twitter: Using Twitter well is something that is hard to do. I suggest that the most important thing is to build a network of people that are posting useful information and updates and (again) engage - chat with them. I have made some really useful relationships on Twitter and enjoy interacting with them as I build my followers. Quantity is not important it is quality as is your reach that is important. There is no point having 8K followers with only one person following each of them. Get to know and interact with people who know the business you are in whether it be fine wines or .Net programming. At the moment I am still having fun on Twitter meeting people and feeding off it. When I launch my next big idea from the BIG IDEAS bucket there may be some monetisation there.

Facebook: Facebook is nearly like Bebo these days. I may go back to it but it is too crowded with dross at the moment

Linkedin: I am getting to like this more and more as it allows you to build a business network, link up with old colleagues, see what is happening in the local and national network and so on. It allows you to see a more business like picture of your network which Twitter and Facebook are weak on. I am spending more and more time on Linkedin currently catching up the many people I worked with over the past 20 years who are on Linkedin and who I want to network with and catch up on.

Hope this helps

thomas09

Linkedin: I am getting to like this more and more as it allows you to build a business network, link up with old colleagues, see what is happening in the local and national network and so on. It allows you to see a more business like picture of your network which Twitter and Facebook are weak on. I am spending more and more time on Linkedin currently catching up the many people I worked with over the past 20 years who are on Linkedin and who I want to network with and catch up on.

Hope this helps

yep, it's really a great social networking sites to build up business network and to be in touch with old colleagues too.

DrAnte

Cheers,
Stuart

You can use Social Networks for advertising by some tools. One of them is LongURL.NET. With this web service you can do many things, like: convert long url into short url and put your own ad at the top of the redirected page.

Than you post this converted URL on news groups, forums, facebook groups, twitter etc...

Some of these "boards" have small traffic, but some of them have very big. When I post on some newsgroup, I get over 10,000 visits. But some of newsgroups, forums, blogs... are very poor and I get 5-10 visits.

This is web service and this is help - how to use.

googlegeek

I think you have to be personal and not promotional while utilizing the power and the influence of these social bookmarking sites. They are extremely powerful as well as helpful for promoting your business, but you have to remain aware of the fact that they are above all created and planned for promoting interaction between like minded people and therefore, you have to contrive your marketing plan accordingly.

The last thing is that you should spam those site because you will be banned forthwith.

Donagh

I think you meant to say "the last thing you should NOT do it spam those site because you will be banned forthwith." ;)

using the adevrtising on FB and because of companies restricting FB access during work hours, well FB added value is yet to be proven even though their leads are very well qualified...
Twitter is great to engage with your community / followers and is a must...
you need to keep it active but not over active like certain big brands (be careful using tweeter feeds, api connections etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.