Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Damn ...

Irish retailer from their online price ... CS3 Web Premium Mac €1,699.00 + VAT which would work out at 2056

Buying in a US apple store 1142 (includes us tax)

Price difference between the 2 ... 2056 - 1142 = 914 EUR

Sweet Zombie cheeses that is a BIG price difference

Where on earth does the extra 914 EUR come from ? I do realise 8% tax in the US ... and 21% VAT here makes up some of it but damn thats just plain crazy

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's even more fun with other classes of products

Xtravision - blu ray - approx €25 - €30
$ vendor - same disc about €15 inc. shipping

Forbairt

Xtravision - blu ray - approx €25 - €30
$ vendor - same disc about €15 inc. shipping

Now for some reason I've that scene from 300 in my mind ...

This is madness ... THIS .. IS ... EUROPE ...

Role on the amount allowed to be imported from the US without tax (increased to 150€ I think ? towards end of year)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've only been caught for customs duty on a couple of deliveries. Most of my dvd / blu ray / hd dvd / cd / book orders are quite small

Forbairt

I've only been caught for customs duty on a couple of deliveries. Most of my dvd / blu ray / hd dvd / cd / book orders are quite small

I can't can't remember the last time I ordered something from the US :) .. apart from my meals last week :p

Though with the price difference at the moment I might have to start getting a few dvds ... (though probably makes more sense to upgrade)

squibs

I'm actually running the US version of CS3 Web Premium. It was a license transfer situation. I did have to phone US customer support to get it activated, but they did this for me with no problems. If you can get it through customs, you'll save a bundle.

Forbairt

I'm actually running the US version of CS3 Web Premium. It was a license transfer situation. I did have to phone US customer support to get it activated, but they did this for me with no problems. If you can get it through customs, you'll save a bundle.

My solution ...

Go to New York ... Go To Apple store ... drool for a few days ...

Buy Mac Book Pro ... Buy Creative Suite ... Register while you're there in the apple store.

Go Home ... walk through the two customs lines wondering which one is the right one red or green .... (wonder if he shouldn't have packed up on 1000 cigarettes ...) ... walk through the unoccupied customs area .... it was before 8 in the morning after all ... :)

To the best of my knowledge I'm able to register it on two machines as well ... now I just need to get an imac or something :D ... difficult to bring through customs though :p

Also I've not used most of the programs in a LONG time properly ... so I think I'm going to have a bit of a learning curve ...

Anyone actually use DreamWeaver for php coding ?

squibs

Yep - I have the PC version and that can be installed on two machines.

I do use dreamweaver for php coding. It's a lifesaver/timesaver for html and css but there are not quite as many features for php coders. You'll pick up dreamweaver in 30 minutes - the rest of the CS3 progs.... not so much :)

Forbairt

was previously using my old companies cs2 license for photoshop (still working for them at times)

I think I'll have to try getting a day or two to go through the video tutorials ...

I never really got into fireworks / illustrator that heavily ...

Tom

I find Fireworks great for putting together website designs/layouts quickly. Initially I didn't see the point of it when you can use other apps to do the same things but it really is good once you get used to it and it doesn't take too long if your familiar with apps like Photoshop, PaintShop Pro etc. Illustrator is a different ball game, for me at least :)

Speaking of Dreamweaver and php does anyone know if it's possible to select a section of html and format it automatically for php output? ie. Escaping quotes etc. without having to manually add each back slash?

gav240z

Everything is ridiculously expensive in Ireland

I've found everything to be ridiculously expensive in Ireland, when compared with home (Australia).

Food
Clothes
Housing and Rent
Electronics
Software
Cars
Alcohol

Especially considering high how the Euro trades with other currencies.

I don't really understand why its so expensive to be honest.

EdenWeb

I saved over 1500 Euro by buying CS3 Master Suite from the US. It's really opened my eyes to how much Irish people are being ripped off.

Forbairt

I saved over 1500 Euro by buying CS3 Master Suite from the US. It's really opened my eyes to how much Irish people are being ripped off.

I asked if they had the Master Collection and they didn't stock it I was told ... so just ended up getting the Premium version. (not doing any video and I think I'll have enough of a learning curve for the moment)

The price difference on mine of 900 EUR ... I just find crazy ... with vat at 21% I can understand it dropping a bit ... to 700 odd EUR price difference I'm just shocked as to how they are making up this extra 700 EUR

Status
Not open for further replies.