Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
personally I love eset and nod32 ...

Baz

AVG in my opinion, and run a Spybot once in a while, on XP I always swore by SmitFraudFix (typical rip it out if it doesn't fit program though ek!).

Vista makes me smile, but not when it came with McAfee... never going back there again. Norton slows even the most beautiful systems down :mad:

Rgds,
Baz

googlebomber76

I've tried most of the anti spyware and anti virus software over the last week as my windows live one care subscription is up for renewal....in fairness to microsoft it has worked well...

So far tested this week are:

AVG - Found it not great, failed to pick up anything much

PC Tools - Great picked up everthing, just failed to fix any of it

McAfee - no thanks, i've enough of viruses without installing another one

Norton / Symantec - see mcafee above

Eset - easy download, simple install, very light, completley useless

Computer Associates

Computer Associates is winning by a long mile at the moment, it has impressed me as it did not effect pc performance in any way, it handels spam in outlook without flaw, warns me of any real time threats, all round it's the best i've come across:)

Now the upsetting bit

None of the above have fixed my problem, what's happening is...let's say i'm on Irish SEO, Marketing & Webmaster Discussion suddenly my browser just jumps straight to party poker website etc, it's as if someone has completley hijacked my browser (it's happening with all browsers, ie, firefox & opera) I'm also getting full page pop ups

Has anyone any ideas what this could be...???

please help, it's driving me crazy.......

Forbairt

None of the above have fixed my problem, what's happening is...let's say i'm on Irish SEO, Marketing & Webmaster Discussion suddenly my browser just jumps straight to party poker website etc, it's as if someone has completley hijacked my browser (it's happening with all browsers, ie, firefox & opera) I'm also getting full page pop ups

Has anyone any ideas what this could be...???

please help, it's driving me crazy.......

My advice would be backup your main bits and wipe your machine

I advise this from experience .. you can correct various problems only to find new ones ... also if your system has been "infected" you don't know what is actually being missed.

I've repaired various systems for people (friends) and the amount of time you spend sorting these issues out is kinda ridiculous when a nice reinstall would solve all problems and provide you with a clean system. That is of course if you can make the backup of your critical files / applications. You'll notice a slow due on your machine usually due to all the fudge that gets left in your registry and other places.

Forbairt

I should add ... run The home of Spybot-S&D! on your system and see what it throws up ... close your browsers when you're running it ... (also download the dictionary files ... at least I think thats the term) it'll tell you what any of the nasties on your machine are.

Baz

Same happened to me a while ago (browser hacked).

Unnessary Step
I was in a bad mood so I verbally attacked the website owner after tracking DNS details and then threatened action under the Data Protection Act 1988

How I Fixed It (Best not use the first step above)
Clear IE7 Browsing History From the Command Line :: the How-To Geek
Try using command prompt, it rips everything out without even running your browser to reset settings, etc.

Cheers,
B

Trojan

I used to be an AVG fan but now I'm Avast! all the way.

For those pathetic operating systems that need such things, of course.

ButtermilkJack

I run AVG Free on my PC laptop but lately it's not really picking up much. Either my machine is clean as a whistle (unlikely seeing as it's a PC ;) ) or as I suspect, hackers have learned how to bypass AVG. I have heard this ona number of occasions and it is starting to make sense to me now.

My mate just bought CA with his new laptop and says it picked up hundreds of viruses that AVG didn't pick up on his old desktop (you can run CA on up to 3 machines).

I think I'll switch soon!

Forbairt

My mate just bought CA with his new laptop and says it picked up hundreds of viruses that AVG didn't pick up on his old desktop (you can run CA on up to 3 machines).

CA ? ... ca.com ?

haven't actually heard of it ..

just upgraded the my nod32 subscription ... to ESET Smart Security as my subscription was up.
So far so good .. though I've head the anti spyware / malware isn't that great in it ... still it was as cheap to get the full suite as it was to get nod32 for me ..

I'll let you know if my machine blows up due to it :D

googlebomber76

Went Full Circle....uninstalled computer assiciates antivrus and spyware......reinstalled windows live one care...it picked up the problem on the first go......my browser is finally beahving itself, called my man in dell and he recommended I buy an apple to avoid virus problems in the future.....can't wait for it to arrive...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.