Why Irish prefer keywordkeyword.ie even if its hard to remmber instead of keyword.ie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-view

Hey,

i'm from originally from Lithuania (country with one of the fastest speed of internet in the world and cool tech university) and in my place domain market fully loaded - everybody starting teenagers registering domains as crazy and its extremely difficult to get good one. So you lucky if you grab keyword.lt and if not - get www.keywordkeyword.lt, www.keyword123.lt etc. All better domain names long long time gone... Maybe because registration is open to everyone, maybe because of up-and-doing temperament of nation :), maybe because its quite cheap (10EUR) and easy to manage. I just relocated to Ireland and checked domain market and found what many domains are free. And IMHO - good domains. Maybe i'm wrong and my question about this but why companies dont register short and easy to remember domain names but two-three-four keyword ones? Sometimes i see address on some van and its like www.corkthingmovers.ie . Or www.catsanddogsclinic.ie Who could remember these? Why they dont switch it to short and easy remember ones? I.e. movers.ie, clinic.ie, cleaners.ie. These probably would be busy but you can find out something shorter than 3-4 keyword domain. My example: my friend have www.leisure.ie (reg last month), though there are many companies with (domain) names www.keywordleisure.ie. Same story with www.deli.ie (reg last month): why companies didnt like short domain name but instead take www.someblabladeli.ie? And there are so many companies :/ Are they trying to register domain with as many keywords as possible just to be better found in google? Or they simply grab their exact "company name" (because of business name) and dont bother to think about easy to memorize domain? Or is it simply Irish thing not to cary about domain length but make it clear and self explainable? (like www.wedosellwindowshere.ie)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, looking forward to hear your opinion

:)

e-view

Views: 830 and 0 anwers?:) Helpfull people, thanks :)

I spoke to some people from SEO and domainning field and they told what irish take 3 keyword domain because of lack of perception in this field. Nobody wants to be bothered registering another business name, checking available domains, looking at legal side, so they take whatever they company full name is.
Thanks, business owners, good oportunities awaiting for domainers. After my salary me getting really cool 3 and 4 letters premium domain names - cannt believe what they available but they are :) Same would suggest to everyone - grab you names as you can! :)

jmcc

I think that the people in the SEO and domaining field that you spoke to do not understand ccTLDs and have only .com experience. Keyword domains are great for traffic in .com but in ccTLDs, people do not remember the extension (.ie, .uk etc) because it is their country. This is why they would just give a city name or street name and no country when describing a location. They remember a business in a street in a city and they don't have to say that it is in Ireland or England. With .com, nobody knows where the website is based. This is why ccTLDs focus more on business names rather than keywords. (Unlike the people you spoke to, I do know a bit about ccTLD domains - I track about 18 million of them.) :)

And the other important thing is that you cannot sell .ie domain names in the same way that you sell .com domains.

Regards...jmcc

link8r

Irish companies are largely (heavily) focused on brand development. "MyShoes.ie" and "Cheapshoes.ie" will probably only be able to compete on price points - brands allow companies to restore/return margin.

I've heard similar things to say that Germany and France are even less likely to buy up generic KW based domains but that's anecdotal at best.

jmcc

I've heard similar things to say that Germany and France are even less likely to buy up generic KW based domains but that's anecdotal at best.
There is a domaining business that targets keywords in those ccTLDs but many of the registrations (based on a quick look at the tracked domains) in each case are very much business orientated. What .com only domainers often don't understand is that ccTLDs are, typically, not world wide TLDs like .com and they do not typically have the same traffic than a keyword .com domain will have.

Regards...jmcc

e-view

There is a domaining business that targets keywords in those ccTLDs but many of the registrations (based on a quick look at the tracked domains) in each case are very much business orientated. What .com only domainers often don't understand is that ccTLDs are, typically, not world wide TLDs like .com and they do not typically have the same traffic than a keyword .com domain will have.

Regards...jmcc

I think ccLTD in this case is just easy to remember. If we put aside waste traffic (business operate only in Ireland) from other countries why do you need wicklowfishrestaurant.com (which will never ever will be remembered) if you can get restaurant.ie? If business is not international then why should one struggle with hard to remember .com? I find 3-5 letter domains springing especially in Dublin when walking around and see many shops using their www on the board or sometimes even instead of shop name. But still see many old fashioned ridiculous www addresses... which are so hard to memorize or even if you do then make typo entering address.

jmcc

I think ccLTD in this case is just easy to remember. If we put aside waste traffic (business operate only in Ireland) from other countries why do you need wicklowfishrestaurant.com (which will never ever will be remembered) if you can get restaurant.ie?
People remember people, things and places rather than just words. They need memory anchors (context). Thus 'restaurant' could apply to any restaurant whereas the other example may apply to a specific place.

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.