Fraudulent Chargebacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know how banks view fraudulent chargeback?

ie. customers using the chargeback facility claiming that their card was used without permission when that was not the case ..

Do banks ever take action against people who do this?

louie

If you are not using the 3d secure system then you don't have much to fight for as it's considered "Customer Not Present" transaction.
The bank will ask for certain documentation, etc. and in the end they'll take the money back from your account.

With the 3D Secure, once you have the XVIC or XIVC (something like that) request, then the issuer bank took responsibility for the transaction and you can sleep well at night.

Hope this help.

The above are only valid for Visa & MC - Laser Card it's a very high risk.

Wild Thing

I think a lot depends on the bank, some dont care less even with a watertight case. Customer not present, the retailer is the easy fallguy and if you kick up too much of a fuss they pull your merchant account. You are caught in the loop, my advice would be submit your case as you probably have done already and suck it up as bad debt if it goes against you. Frustrating I know, I just had a chargeback yesterday.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, but work on the basis that our bank know that the chargeback is not valid ie. claiming fraud is a non-runner from the customer perspective
Claiming an unauthorised charge is a different matter

louie

The consumer will invent anything to get their money back as - I didn't do it.
I used to get that a lot years ago and lost every single case (as mentioned by "Wild Thing", the Banks didn't give a toss about me - just took the money and send me a letter.... bastards), until I changed to 3D secure.

The letters are still coming, but with a copy of the 3D transaction, everything is forgotten about by the Banks ( F***** chancers...)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
For Visa & Master Card - YES
You'll be stuck with Laser Card only

To be honest I don't think we've had that many issues with Laser.
I don't mind valid chargebacks ie. real fraud
I just get more than a little annoyed when you get a few hundred Euro worth of chargebacks because somebody thinks it's a "valid" way to ask for a refund (even if it's not !)

louie

Totally understand you. Few hundred euro's is frustrating alright, but what about over 12.000 I lost 2-3 years ago due to charge-back?
I was on fire... Closed a bank account due to arrogance & bad manners from the Bank Staff... - won't mention any name... the B******

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Totally understand you. Few hundred euro's is frustrating alright, but what about over 12.000 I lost 2-3 years ago due to charge-back?
I was on fire... Closed a bank account due to arrogance & bad manners from the Bank Staff... - won't mention any name... the B******
12k is a lot!
My problem is that we do lots of small transactions ie. hundreds and hundreds of 10 euro or less .. it adds up very quickly
Plus you've also got to factor in the time resolving the problem ..

Status
Not open for further replies.