Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePhantom

Hi,

A potential client who owns a flower shop wants her website completely revamped. She currently allows online purchases, where items are placed in an online shopping cart which is managed by a company called Mal's eCommerce, who are based in the UK, and all payment details are handled by them (I never heard of them - anyone know anything about them, good or bad?)

I'm checking out osCommerce, and when I look in the Payment Modules section I don't see Realex listed there - is that something that needs to be installed / integrated separately?

Also, part of their site is going to be like a brochure-type site where they just have info about themselves, what they do, where they are, etc. Is this something that I would do through osCommerce, or can I create their site through eg. Joomla (which I just started checking out in the last few days and love!) and then hook into osCommerce for the online purchasing side of things?

Sorry if I'm not making complete sense, I've been learning an awful lot of new stuff lately and my brain is a bit fried!

J.

reverbstudios

Realex is an additional manual plugin for os-commerce yes and no I doubt if you could combine Joomla and os-commerce easily but I'm sure you could just as easily add a Realex module toJoomla as os-commerce. Joomla is best if you have a lot of additional content besides products and os-commerce is very slow and outdated at this stage..

WhitePhantom

Many thanks Leon, but now I'm wondering how would I create a shopping cart in Joomla? Is there a module / plugin to do this?

Rgds,
J.

davedave

VirtueMart is the e-commerce plugin for Joomla. Realex do not have a plugin for VirtueMart and I am not aware of one that is freely available. I have come across some individuals (on this and other forums) who have created a Realex plugin.

Out of the Irish Payment Service Providers WorldNet TPS are the only ones who provide support for Joomla and VirtueMart. You can download their module on the VirtueMart extensions site - VirtueMart Extensions Directory - WorldNet TPS Payment Module

My website has a comparison table which indicates which irish payment service providers support which e-commerce platforms.

Dave

achieve

Realex is an additional manual plugin for os-commerce yes and no I doubt if you could combine Joomla and os-commerce easily but I'm sure you could just as easily add a Realex module toJoomla as os-commerce. Joomla is best if you have a lot of additional content besides products and os-commerce is very slow and outdated at this stage..

I've developed a couple of sites using OS Commerce, and haven't experienced any speed issue. Am currently in the early development stage of another OS Commerce site, which currently has nearly 15,000 product images and no speed issues here either. I do agree that some of the core "bits" of OsCommerce are somewhat out-dated, but the big big advantage I find is all the addons that are freely available.

WhitePhantom

Many thanks for the replies.

The client in question has mentioned that while she'd be interested in taking orders online, she'd be happy to process the payments manually (as she currently does with phone orders) - so I guess if I can just add a shopping cart onto Joomla that accepts credit card numbers but not actually process the payment online, it would be ideal.

I did a search for shopping cart plugins for Joomla, and one that it came back with was SimpleCaddy, which got good reviews. Anyone used that?

Ta,
J.

scothost

Hi m8

You want OSCMax
You can manipulate the articles plug in to create new pages and it is template based. It is OsCommerce loaded with modules

WhitePhantom

Hi,

Been doing lots of reading & looking around on this, and thinking of going with Joomla and OSCommerce, integrating with Realex.

Just a few questions....

1. If my site is a mixture of info about the company and products for sale, do I need to user both Joomla and OSCommerce? Can I create static 'About Us' type pages in OSCommerce and just forget about Joomla altogether?

2. If I do need to design the site in Joomla and integrate with OSCommerce, will the OSCommerce side of things automatically use the same template that the Joomla side of the site is using?

3. Can I display different prices for different users? She's going to have prices for the general public, but also prices for her regular trade customers - can the trade customers log in and see their prices?

Thanks a lot, sorry if some of the Qs above are a bit thick, I'm trying to figure all this out as I go and don't want to head off down the wrong track at the start. Really looking forward to getting started on it when I get it all straight in my head! :D

J.

achieve

To the best of my knowledge:

1. If you install an OsCommerce contribution called STS Templates, you can create addditonal "non shopping" webpages to your own design.

2. I'm no expert with Joomla, but I'm not aware OS can use the Joomla templates out of the box so to speak.

3. There is an OS Commerce addon that allows for separate pricing.

** Bear in mind that, although it is relatively easy to setup a default OS Commerce site, the refining and addition of Addons is a farily steep learning curve.

WhitePhantom

Thanks for the replies. Lots to think about!

I was also looking at ZenCart, but a guy in Realex kind of recommended OSCommerce instead, although they do support both. He said there's a wider community of OSCommerce users, but what I read of ZenCart was all very positive.

In a toss-up between the two, which would you recommend?

Also, another client has Used Machinery that he wants to display on a website, but wouldn't be allowing people to purchase online - can I set up a shopping-cart type site but without any 'Add to Cart' or 'Checkout' option? Does that sound like a solution for a situation like this?

I really do appreciate all the advice and feedback here guys!

irshadweb

Business Ecommerce Solutions

Different Ecommerce software available in IT World Take glance on following site all u have to do is click on following site i hope this will help u.

Business Ecommerce Solutions

Commerce Interface provides channel integration tools for Internet suppliers.Commerce Interface offers order and catalog management solutions for drop ship suppliers. Performance-based fee structure.
channel management services, business ecommerce solutions, ecommerce order management, b2b integration,drop ship supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.