Transfered domain/hosting from Eircom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

I'm having a problem with emails being sent to a domain that I just transfered from Eircom. The problem seems to be only when sending emails through Eircoms outgoing servers. My guess is this is happening at the moment because the domain and hosting has yet to be canceled with Eircom and they are sending the emails to the old account on their server? If so I'm hoping this will right itself with a simple request to cancel the service tomorrow morning but has anyone got any advice on this? Will a specific request be needed? Is simply canceling the service enough? Are my assumptions even correct? :confused:

davidbehan

You need to get the domain removed from Eircom's servers. Check the domain at Blacknight.ie - Irish Hosting - DNS Diagnostics and you should see if eircom's servers have different information to the rest of the world.

If so, you need to send an email to dnsrequests@eircom.net (I think that's the address) with that you want the information deleted from the servers as the domain is no longer with them.

They should get back to you in 1-2 weeks with a question and complete the operation in another 2 weeks or so! I'm waiting 3 weeks for them to complete a 2 minute job!!!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The DNS might not be the issue

We've seen issues with former Eircom clients where the mailboxes are still on their mail servers, so the mail gets delivered there, which to the outside world makes it seem like it's vanished completely

Eircom used to have a form for clients leaving them to cancel services etc., in a smooth manner. Check with them ...

Tom

Thanks guys, I did a check with the Blacknight DNS tool and the eircom and indigo servers are listing eircom for the name servers and the MX Mail Record. The others all seem fine. I'll get in touch with them to change it and see what happens.

davidbehan

Best of luck but don't expect a quick response or turnaround! If you do get through to someone in there, take their name and direct line phone number because it's a nightmare trying to get back to that department through their phone system!

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
went the route of emailing them before ...took a few weeks to sort out but I wasn't in an immediate rush on it. It eventually got sorted out :) (I think :D)

Tom

Well emailing isn't accepted by Eircom for these changes so my client had to contact their corporate team and arrange the changes over the phone and send a signed fax.

It looks like something has now changed. The DNS tool is now showing None under all the Eircom entries. What happens now? Do they update automatically like when registering a new domain?

davidbehan

If I've read you correctly - None is what you want. It means they don't have information on their servers about your domain. Now if someone using eircom broadband/email requests this site or sends an email to that domain, eircom will check their servers, nope nothing there, and get the information from the next level of dns.

It's too early and I have a cold so somebody might be able to describe the process better or with proper terms but that's the jist AFAIK!

Rgds, Dave

Tom

Thanks Dave, I've just been sending a few test emails through different outgoing servers and they all seem to be going through except when I use eircoms outgoing servers. I wonder do I need to wait for their DNS to update further or if it is something else maybe the mailboxes?

GimmeDat

Happened me before aswell. Caused a right pain for all. Luckily emails aren't lost. If you have the mail accounts, you can still access via pop until Eircom releases the DNS from their end.

I found that mail sent from anyone using eircom hosting or eircom email accounts was retained locally by them. Like i said, all's not lost if you still have the old pop credentials!

Tom

I just got in touch with eircom myself and it seems they only took care of the website end and tech dept required confirmation to cancel the service and remove the email solution, I guess that's the mailboxes as Blacknight mentioned. Hopefully it will be ok after this, fingers crossed.

GimmeDat

Sorry i had a different problem - The web and email got transferred by the hosting company except for locally routed eircom email.

Tom

Sorry i had a different problem - The web and email got transferred by the hosting company except for locally routed eircom email.

I think it's same problem, not sure, the situation has me all confused. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.