Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

I have a strange issue, maybe someone as experienced before.

My client registered a .ie over a year ago and I built a website & placed it on that domains hosting space...That was fine.

The client returned 6 months ago and decided they wanted to change the name of the business & domain to something more self explanatory.
So i registered a new domain name, done some image/text/SEO (including sitemap, webmaster tools & google domain submission) work on the website and moved it to the new domain hosting space.

The the original domain name was set up as a pointer to the new one.

The issue is the website shows up on google with the new page title, description but under the old domain name.

The site does not sit on it anymore, why does it still show the old URL (which is now only a pointer)

Any help appreciated.

Unreal

paul

Ninja
Are you using a 301 redirect to tell the SE that content has moved ?
Can you share the domain/search query ?
How long has it been since you changed things ?
Did you have a look in the webmaster console for the new and old domain ?

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paul,
Thank you for your fast response.

I didnt create a 301 because the account (on direct admin) has been completely removed - thus there is no hosting plan for it.
I created a new hosting plan for the new domain and uploaded the amended website to it.
Unfortunately i cannot share the name as it is a company client, not a personal client.

New site has been online at least six months, if not more.

I would be willing to re-create that user account on direct admin and 301 re-direct to the new site. But I have a limit to the amount of users I can have on the reseller package we use. So I could not leave it up for long.

If i did this for a few months and then removed it would it work do you think?

Unreal

paul

Ninja
A 301 should work, as it tells the SE that the content is actually "moved", all it is thinking now is that the content is there, but the website is down.

A 301 is important to insure that you don't loose all your previous web traffic, which is probably a bigger problem than having 2 domains listed in the search.

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
Cool,

I'll try that now.
Would it be worth re-submitting the original domain to google to get the index page (with the 301) indexed faster?

How long should I leave it up for before removeing completely and turning into a pointer?

Cheers

Unreal

paul

Ninja
Would it be worth re-submitting the original domain to google to get the index page (with the 301) indexed faster?
you could increase the spider freq. in the WMC.
How long should I leave it up for before removeing completely and turning into a pointer?
If the old domain has any links pointing to it, I would keep the old domain forever and use a 301 , to get the benefit of these links.

unrealindeed

Administrator
Staff member
If the old domain has any links pointing to it, I would keep the old domain forever and use a 301 , to get the benefit of these links.

No, all links pointing to the old domain were replaced with links to the new domain. Again, In order to create a 301,the domain has to have a hosting space which means creating a user account on the admin panel. I only have so many user accounts, and when i reach my limit, i will have to remove it...
So i'll give the domain name a hosting/user account and set up a 301 until I run out of users, then by this time hopefully the issue will be resolved.

Thanks for your help.
Much appreciated

Unreal

Status
Not open for further replies.