Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfly

I wouldn't accept one. Nor would I enter any of my work into them again seeing as they're a proven farce beyond any shadow of doubt. As for saying I'm "off" and the patronising wink; suffice to say that you're not obliged to agree with me. If you think the Golden Spiders are a benchmark of quality then you're entitled to. ;)

Whooooaahh! Relax. I thought it was clear that I'm on your side of the fence here. "He's off" referred to me being aware of how passionate and vocal you are on the subject. The wink was supposed to indicate that, not be patronising.

TheMenace

Whooooaahh! Relax. I thought it was clear that I'm on your side of the fence here. "He's off" referred to me being aware of how passionate and vocal you are on the subject. The wink was supposed to indicate that, not be patronising.

Sorry, I'm not having a go at you personally. I still fail to see it all as a laughing matter, that's all. A very damaged industry to work in and largely the fault of larger companies that 1) aren't involved directly in the industry and 2) have vested interests.

alexleonard

Resurrection Time

Well, seeing as the Golden Spiders are coming up again soon, I thought I'd write a bit of a post about it. When I was researching the awards I came across this forum, which I'm definitely glad to have found.

Anyway, the post is located here:
Improving the Irish Web Design Awards system

I'd be intrigued to hear any feedback regarding the accuracy of what I'm talking about (in case I've misunderstood how these awards work).

More importantly I definitely felt quite inspired by finding: Web Standards Awards

I definitely feel there is room for something like this in Ireland, as I've always been quite disappointed in the standards of coding apparent on websites in Ireland.

We're not perfect yet, but definitely coming a long way towards where we want to be. I've found it a little harder to get things absolutely right using word press over hand-coding, but full standards and accessibility adherence is definitely achievable without too much extra work, and ultimately makes life easier!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I posted a reply on your post.

I think you may have picked up the wrong end of the stick with regards the IIA NetVisionary Awards.

They are 100% free to enter.

The tickets are for the actual event gala dinner (black tie) , which usually runs from about 6pm with champagne reception through full 4 course dinner, entertainment, awards ceremony etc., etc.

alexleonard

Hey, Thanks for clearing that up :) I'm ammending my post right now. Black tie eh... are there any coders out there that actually want to go black tie? :D

jmcc

Hey, Thanks for clearing that up :) I'm ammending my post right now. Black tie eh... are there any coders out there that actually want to go black tie? :D
More to the point, are there any coders out there that actually own a black tie? :)

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
are there any coders out there that actually want to go black tie? :D

A lot of people go to black tie events.

We sponsored the Net Visionaries for the last couple of years, so we used the event as a way of thanking some clients / partners by taking them out for a good night - most of the other sponsors would have a similar view.

alexleonard

Well certainly the Net Visionaries awards sound a whole lot better than the golden spiders.

I think I still have my debs outfit from so many years ago.. I think I'd probably still fit into it as well! (No waist creep here despite my propensity for sitting in front of a computer all day long)

I can't imagine donning it for an awards event though, some of our clients might like that, but I can't visualise coding being something that warrants an awards event :)

andrija

€100s rule

Imagine you a a webmaster, and want to submit your work. The sites of your clients. The submission itself will cost your €100 per site.

It would be interesting to see the rate card, and see how much is it to get shorlisted.

Here goes my own unoficcial submission:

Jobs in Ireland and Irish Jobs by EmployIreland

If onlyI would find €100 to get is listed into the Golden Spiders... :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Imagine you a a webmaster, and want to submit your work. The sites of your clients. The submission itself will cost your €100 per site.

To Golden Spiders? Yes.

It's one of the issues I have with the entire thing

I don't mind with the "big" categories, but what about the ones where the small guy could enter?

TheMenace

I paid my €100 last year and never got a breakdown of the final scorings. So I don't know where my €100 went and never got an explanation as to why vastly inferior sites beat mine to the shortlist. Effectively they stole my money!

davidbehan

Did they not contact both of you (michele and menace - or was it red?) about discussing the fees, running of the whole thing?

They've a number of new categories released this year:

Golden Spiders

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I never heard anything more about it.

"We'll call you" blah blah blah

It's not as if I'm hard to find ...

TheMenace

I'm not surprised that they didn't get back to you, Michele. I think it'll be business as usual this year to be honest. They never got back to me (and ignored my calls) regarding the scoring breakdown. Which they previously admitted that I was entitled to after having paid my entry fee. Ah well.

ziycon

So its €100 to submit your site, what do you get for this, any stats on how the voting went for you site or anything like that?

TheMenace

So its €100 to submit your site, what do you get for this, any stats on how the voting went for you site or anything like that?

No. I rang them when I didn't make the shortlist and asked them, seeing as I had actually paid to enter, if I could get a breakdown of the scorings. I was told no but that I could call back after the award ceremony to get a full debriefing. When I tried this I was ignored, my calls were never returned and I never got an explanation as to how the scoring was carried out. So effectively the management of the Golden Spiders take €100 from you and are totally unaccountable as to where the money goes. Theft if you like.

davidbehan

No. I rang them when I didn't make the shortlist and asked them, seeing as I had actually paid to enter, if I could get a breakdown of the scorings. I was told no but that I could call back after the award ceremony to get a full debriefing. When I tried this I was ignored, my calls were never returned and I never got an explanation as to how the scoring was carried out. So effectively the management of the Golden Spiders take €100 from you and are totally unaccountable as to where the money goes. Theft if you like.
So, will you enter wall estates into the the Best Property Website category this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.