Status
Not open for further replies.

ecstatic

Right i see a lot of crap SEO's out there and want someone solid to do SEO for my ecommerce sites over a long term period.

Ill be using a mix of SEM to kickoff the project and get it on its feet but i need a great SEO whom someone can recommend to get my natural rankings up to the top.

Im based in a small niche so want someone who signs a NDA and is willing to work on a continuing basis longer term.

Persons on this forum with whom have you had the best success for ecommerce websites and natural rankings>?

Sick of DP and SP with dodgy cronies around and want pure whitehat to get things going!

Gavin

You do right to stay away from DP for such a project.

The only two people I would recommend here in Ireland would be Redfly Marketing or Red Cardinal - I've never used either of them but I know enough about them to make a recommendation for professional services.

Look hard enough and you'll find both of them all over the web giving out great advice.

Hope that helps.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I'd have to second that ... the amount of knowledge I've picked up from reading their posts is crazy :)

gav240z

I concur

Yeah in Ireland you are a bit stuck for choice there are only a couple of individuals who truly seem to know what they are doing.

Of course stick around here long enough and you can get some free advice from us :).

Having read your post though it seems you might not want to disclose the web address of your site, which is understandable.

You could try Search Engine Optimisation Ireland, Online Marketing Ireland & Search Engine Marketing I worked there briefly and they seemed like a good bunch of people.

energetic

google it and you will find the one with higher ranking, I believe it is an indicator that they are expert in SEO

3rigena

while i agree with the guy above to a degree, you will see who is good yes, but also who has been in the game the longest imo (right at the top!)

i am sure half the links on the `net with anchor "seo ireland" or "web design ireland" come from this forum hehe.

glengara

You raise a matter than struck me recently 3rigena, in linkage terms there seems a growing divergence between what SEOs/SEMs can do for themselves and what they can do for clients.

Website Virgin

Hi Guys,

New to this and the whole world of websites but i thought i might pick your brains for some info. Recently had a oscommerce website completed and at the moment my programers are working on the seo work. I have been told that it will take approx 3 months for all my products to link themselves and appear in the natural listings in google, does this sound right?

Am not entirely happy with this as you can expect so i am looking for ways to get up the google ladder and appear in the natural listings without having to wait such a long time.

Does anyone know of any software or tricks that will allow my website to appear more frequently in the search engines? I have over 291 products and woudl like for when somebody types a product type like for example toaster, my website to appear.

Are there tricks to achieve this without having to pay the specified google advertising?

If anyone has any links to blogging as well i'd appreciate them.

Thanks for your time.

gav240z

Hi Guys,

New to this and the whole world of websites but i thought i might pick your brains for some info. Recently had a oscommerce website completed and at the moment my programers are working on the seo work. I have been told that it will take approx 3 months for all my products to link themselves and appear in the natural listings in google, does this sound right?

Pretty much a standard response most people will give you. This isn't exactly true. How fast your pages are indexed and how fast they appear in results has more to do with the age of your website's domain, its history (has it been blacklisted before?), the frequency the pages are updated and visited by Google and probably most importantly the page rank of your site (higher = better).

This applies mainly to Google, but is pretty much the same concept for MSN live and Yahoo!.

Am not entirely happy with this as you can expect so i am looking for ways to get up the google ladder and appear in the natural listings without having to wait such a long time.

Does anyone know of any software or tricks that will allow my website to appear more frequently in the search engines? I have over 291 products and woudl like for when somebody types a product type like for example toaster, my website to appear.

There arn't really any "tricks" other than black hat techniques which often result in more harm than good.

Are there tricks to achieve this without having to pay the specified google advertising?

Google Advertising can be extremely effective, provided you use Google Analytics or similar stats program. Use goals and funnels to measure your checkout process and monitor your return on investment. There is no free lunch. SEO will cost you anyway. In the time it takes to rank and the amount you pay your programmers for changes across your site.

I have not used OSCommerce for a long time, but last time I looked at it, it wasn't very SEO Friendly and I imagine not much has changed. I don't remember the last time I stumbled upon a commerce site through natural listings on Google that was running OSCommerce.

I hate to say it, but best bet at the moment is probably Google Adwords.

Others should feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Gavin.

paul

Ninja
What about submitting lists to Froogle ? Or do you need to have a certain amount of products before they will list you.

raj

Before hiring any SEO company you should speak directly to their previous client through email or phone.

The best tool to gauge success of any SEO company is through their previous clients.

gav240z

From an agency perspective

You raise a matter than struck me recently 3rigena, in linkage terms there seems a growing divergence between what SEOs/SEMs can do for themselves and what they can do for clients.

This is an extremely good point and one I should blog about, thanks for the idea! :).

Let me share my thoughts from the other side of the fence. As someone who worked at an SEO firm or Internet based services company, let me just say that some of us genuinely want to help our clients, the problem lies in several areas.

- Existing Website Content Management System
- Dealing with the original authors or designers of the system
- Getting clients to understand the importance of the recommended changes.
- Educating the client on content writing
- Finding and building links to a client site (probably one of the hardest parts).

1.) Existing content management systems can be a royal pain in the backside for SEO's to deal with especially the proprietary ones. We have to hack / slash and chop these systems up sometimes just to get the desired result (extremely time consuming).

2.) We don't want to upset your existing developers / designers by saying what they have done is rubbish - although alot of the time it is (fact!). We have to coach them on how to implement the changes we suggested and getting them to make these changes is a pita at the best of times.

3.) Sometimes clients don't take our recommendations on board or just expect that once we provide them with a solution everything will take care of itself. Sometimes I think they feel that providing links will solve all their issues.

4.) Telling clients how to write meta descriptions / post titles / heading tags and the like, can be somewhat difficult to explain and of course requires time to educate a client. (This is something that is more important for clients with good cms systems already).

5.) Links are probably the most difficult part. It used to be simple, have a good directory with page rank and link your clients from it with the right keywords. All that has changed and many directories are useless now. The fact of the matter is this is extremely time consuming to do and requires much patience and manual labor - many have tried to automate this, but its like chasing your tail.

In conclusion unless you have a big budget an agency can only do so much for you. It might be better to hire an in house SEO who can dedicate his time toward improving your site. This is what I am doing now, but even so there are still challenges that lie ahead and I do miss the diversity of an agency myself.

I hope that explains why some agencies can do more for themselves than their clients.

glengara

It's in linkage I note the main divergence, most players in the Irish SEM sector either piggyback off client sites or are active in blog/social media circles, neither of which are realistic options for most clients.

Website Virgin

It's in linkage I note the main divergence, most players in the Irish SEM sector either piggyback off client sites or are active in blog/social media circles, neither of which are realistic options for most clients.

What woudl you recommend for somebody on an extremely tight budget? Are there thinbgs i can do myself tpo target specified traffic?

Can someone please give me some info in relation to blogging? Not entirely sure what this is, hence my name!!

glengara

A blog is simply a publishing format, it's the favoured vehicle in social media marketing and a good option where there's time and enthusiasm but little money.

I'm not a blogger so you should try your question on the blog forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.