Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

So when you see a site with low PR that claims to be an SEO site, thats what I find hilarious.

I find SEO websites that have ****e rankings even more funnier and sometimes disturbing when they actually sell it as a service.

kflanagan28

I think john pettr should be promoted on this site as the only real seo guru that posts here. His posts are so insightful ...

vsl.online

Missing PR's

Though I value traffic more than I value PR, I guess I'm still going to miss it if it;s gone. It simply associates itself with with how good your site looks whenever you have a High PR.

Besides, it gives the idea that not only are yo great in generating traffic, but abiding rules with google as well.

omahonydonnelly

Checking PR is a bad habit! Give it up for Lent.

Google still considers PageRank as an important factor but one of 200 factors used to determine its search results - see their page on Technology (as a newbie here I'm not allowed to post a link).

There is still some value for some in looking at PR as a comparison tool - between sites and your own site over time; but not knowing exactly what it indicates and how much it impacts on Google's overall algorithm makes it just a factor amongst many to consider. Combine that with the fact that the PR showing on the Google Toolbar may not be up to date - and in the past there were times when it was not working at all. Google only tells us as much as they think we should know.

The PR of an SEO's site isn't as important as the PR of their clients sites :) I've just redeveloped my site and moved domain so time will tell. Often it's a case of 'cobbler's children'. Bottom line is about the results the clients are getting via their site. Luckily we don't have to please other SEOs and Web Devs just clients. Glad to hear we all have so much to smile about.

link8r

We've moved off-topic again :) This is the SEO section of the IWF, we're all pretty read up on PageRank at this point I should hope :p

The question was: Would you miss Toolbar PageRank or not?

omahonydonnelly

Excuse me if I went off topic (though I didn't actually go off the PageRank topic), not every question has a yes or no answer, so I felt I was giving my reasons why I may or may not look at PR. Also took the opportunity to respond to previous posts giving opinions on what PR means in respect to SEOs websites.

[Also, as it's my first post on the forum, would have appreciated some consideration and encouragement. Especially as you suggested that I do it.]

link8r

Nobody's giving out or flaming you, just reigning in the thread : it was a yes or no question - as an seo, would you miss PR.

and you're very welcome here :)

frankp

Excuse me if I went off topic (though I didn't actually go off the PageRank topic), not every question has a yes or no answer, so I felt I was giving my reasons why I may or may not look at PR. Also took the opportunity to respond to previous posts giving opinions on what PR means in respect to SEOs websites.

[Also, as it's my first post on the forum, would have appreciated some consideration and encouragement. Especially as you suggested that I do it.]

Seeing as there is a poll for the yes/no part of this thread, i think the further elaboration on your part was perfectly on topic - especially if you read through the discussion.

As for the question - I would miss it initially, as discussed, as part of putting together an overall view of a site, but I imagine within a short timespan it would be easily forgotten.

frankp

I don't think the response in question was off topic.

You gave your response to the question which included your views on SEO's and link building, omahonydonnelly gave her views which included a response to that view and a general view that it still has some value, backed up by some information on what it is that gives it that value.

If a post had been made which was completely left of field, then fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just out trolling and trying to get into a you said / she said / I said argument, it's that I think omahonydonnelly makes a good point when she says

Also, as it's my first post on the forum, would have appreciated some consideration and encouragement. Especially as you suggested that I do it.

Updated to remove overly cranky and innaccurate statement!

sophielc

I probably wouldn't miss it since I haven't looked at mine for about a year; in fact, I have hidden my toolbar so I can't even see it at the moment. That said, if someone told me my blog has a pr2 or more, I'd work damn hard at keeping it that way or higher!
When I find a website or blog that I like, its pr doesn't matter to me, I'll link to it even it's it a 0 if I think it can be useful to my readers.

link8r

I don't think the response in question was off topic.

You gave your response to the question which included your views on SEO's and link building, omahonydonnelly gave her views which included a response to that view and a general view that it still has some value, backed up by some information on what it is that gives it that value.

If a post had been made which was completely left of field, then fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just out trolling and trying to get into a you said / she said / I said argument, it's that I think omahonydonnelly makes a good point when she says

Fair enough but the user has still failed to state whether or not they'd miss PageRank, which is the topic of the thread.

To me it seemed like a quick lecture on what PageRank is yet had already been covered. There was nothing new or unkown said either. It was like the user had not read the thread or the topic or the other posts.

Why bother with topics then?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough but the user has still failed to state whether or not they'd miss PageRank, which is the topic of the thread.

To me it seemed like a quick lecture on what PageRank is yet had already been covered. There was nothing new or unkown said either. It was like the user had not read the thread or the topic or the other posts.

Why bother with topics then?
It's a discussion forum

People won't always stay exactly on topic and trying to force people to do so in the manner you are attempting will only backfire

If you want a poll and no discussion use PollDaddy - if you want to actually talk about something, then here's a great place, but don't whinge when people actually talk about and around the topic

Status
Not open for further replies.