Status
Not open for further replies.

bober

I recently meet with an advertising rep from goldenpages.ie - I was looking to run an ad in there online additional of goldenpages for my painting website. I was basically just looking for a link.

anyway....They were charging €2200 ex vat! The ad was alright - Somtn similar to a google places. Actually the ad is more or less the same as advert.ie for €3.

I said it was over budget so he then showed me the entry level ad for €700.

*one of the key selling points was they were giving me an ad in the actual golden pages for 1/2 price, my ah! This tiny little text box about an inch squared.

Also, I had to laugh 'we guarantee 200 clicks over the year'

*I don't know about you but that's absolute robbery in my eys, would you agree?

link8r

I recently meet with an advertising rep from goldenpages.ie - I was looking to run an ad in there online additional of goldenpages for my painting website. I was basically just looking for a link.

anyway....They were charging €2200 ex vat! The ad was alright - Somtn similar to a google places. Actually the ad is more or less the same as advert.ie for €3.

It goes all the way up to €15k. Truvo is the name of the company that runs Golden Pages.

I said it was over budget so he then showed me the entry level ad for €700.

In some cases €700 can be good spend but yeah, its high end. Also, their CTR and conversion data is non-exsitent

*one of the key selling points was they were giving me an ad in the actual golden pages for 1/2 price, my ah! This tiny little text box about an inch squared.

Old sales trick - tell how expensive it would be if you spent more...

Also, I had to laugh 'we guarantee 200 clicks over the year'

Well, they'd nearly generate those themselves :p

*I don't know about you but that's absolute robbery in my eys, would you agree?

Its pretty high. It depends on business generated and so on but yeah...

I have seen a few cases where ads with Truvo make sense....but their higher end is too much. That they do AdWords but offer their own guestimate Conversion rate (rather than actual tracking) is pretty rubbish.

bober

In my head I was thinking right max about 250quid & at that I would have to think hard. obviously the ad would make sence on my ROI if I got a couple of well paid jobs. That said I'm sure I could make better use of my €2200. (If I had 2200 to spend) For example some lower paid listings > run a ppc ad campaign > social media campaign > get a job, make a profit > then start the cycle over again until I find a nice balance.

On the other hand the ad would suit others, for example I found some people advertising that had no website. Therefore this would suit them. (well until they realise they could have got a website & some change left over to advertise it).

bober

You're better off spending your time (and money) elsewhere
for sure....

I really do think they need to reevaluate their costs...service...stats...the lot... (I don't have any stats but I'd say more people would google a service provider as apposed to goldenpages a service provider) & as said in my initial post adverts.ie same ad for €3 compared to €2200

link8r

DoneDeal is very cheap to advertise in - I know several companies who've made that bag many thousands of times!

Fergster

I hate golden pages and the way they are ripping small business's off.

I got so pissed with them that I have started a business directory of my own and have started ranking for their keywords to try and take some business away and it seems to be working :)

I am already ranking in google.ie for goldenpages.ie, goldenpages and am attacking a few more.

Great Craic!

Had a friend whos business went under because they never got any of the suggested traffic and ended up owning a small fortune, they had to get legal help to resolve it but those sales pitches never came to fruition. DoneDeal is indeed a good way to get big exposure for a whole lot less.

HubberZero

That sounds like a proper rip-off. The only way it would be if those 200 clicks we're the highest converting, highest quality traffic, unlikely.

Byron

Golden pages is an artifact of the past, like fax, still used by a certain clique but by no means by those wishing to buy a website!

seanpearse

golden pages is indeed a rip off....it baffles me how they actually still get new clients (all credit to the sales team I suppose!!) Like you say they charge extortionate rates and don't even give an analytics report to show how many impressions and click-thrus the listing has received. A well optimised google place page (which is free to set up!) is a much better all round option and it lets the business owner see how many people have found their listing as a search result, click-thru ratios etc. etc. If anyone wants advice on how to claim their place page and optimise it correctly feel free to message me and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.