Status
Not open for further replies.

ph3n0m

might aswell throw my hat in - hosting with Blacknight and have done so for over 4 years now - in fact it might be bordering on 6 :)

rsynnott

What admin panel are you getting with your hosting package rob? And does it come with any default email apps or are you required to install your own?

What's their support like?

I get a computer with a default minimum install of Debian (stable) on. (It is possible, through a terrifying bootstrap procedure, to install other things, I hear). No admin panel; I don't really need one, as I'm not a webhost. I installed my own email app (this is more or less done by typing 'sudo apt-get install exim4' and answering a few simple questions.)

Their support is German-language. Happily, so far I haven't had to use it. As it's a pretty simple service, the only thing I'd really need to contact them about is the computer dying (does apparently occasionally happen). It took them two months after signing up to get around to actually charging my credit card. Apparently they're rather short-staffed, which is presumably why they're so cheap.

Hetzner tends to get mentioned a lot on #linux and the prices and spec seem very good.

Regards...jmcc
It's aimed at the geek user ....

Indeed. One problem with the service is that their DNS is woefully slow. This can be largely remedied by using a local cache. They are NOT a host for mission-critical sites, but for me they're perfect. I also wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't at least vaguely know their way around a unix-y system. But if you know what you're doing and you can live with DNS and non-amazing reliability, they are VERY cheap.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
So we are the two who started Blacknight "on the distingushed road" [No one has ever told me WTF that means]?

It's a rating system - you can rate other members' contributions - I'll be looking at expanding on that a bit (I think I saw a module for that)

Liam Cahill

Hosting 365

I've been with Hosting 365 for the past 3 - 4 years. Very happy with them. Downtime of only a few nanoseconds over that time, quickly restored; excellent out-of-hours support; very reasonably priced; staff are very pleasant to deal with ... area for improvement - Accounts. I have my own, dedicated stand-alone server. Maybe that helps?

Previously spent - endured? - a few years with Weblink. No comparison between the two companies.

dude

I used to have a US only policy (have had servers for about 10 years) but about 2 years ago I switched to H365.

I regret making that decision.

Support from US companies is WAAAAY superior - even the little things like talking to you respectfully. I think that's a problem with Ireland in general though: the customer is always wrong.

US prices are cheaper too. Better spec and more bandwidth.

However, I do want my servers in Ireland, and I do like support Irish businesses, so I will be staying put.

H365's support is pretty much non-existant these days. And there's downtime pretty much every week for a few hours. So I'm mildly unhappy with their service. Their sales team are awful. So awful that I figure out other ways to add stuff onto my server without having to deal with H365 sales.

But... when everything is running smoothly, the network is great.

rsynnott

Support from US companies is WAAAAY superior - even the little things like talking to you respectfully. I think that's a problem with Ireland in general though: the customer is always wrong.

Hmm, I always thought the American 'oh-almighty-customer' thing was a bit cringeworthy, myself...

Comparison.ie

Thanks for the No Uptime link - quite amusing to say the least.

I tend to host in the country at which the website is aimed at, mainly so I get categorized correctly in the SERPS, but also, so the chances of all servers going down at once are remote, so I'll always have a website up somewhere.

I have websites for 3 countries

UK - Compila.com - very good support, very friendly and no problems at all in 4 years of hosting. E-mail replies often within 10 minutes.

Ireland - Blacknight. Own 3 domains with them and 2 hosting packages. Again, brilliant support and seem to go out of their way to help me (sorry if I'm a nuisance :)). Also advised me on IE domains names as I'm a UK citizen.

USA - Asmallorange - never had a problem, but haven't been hosting with them for long. In fact I haven't got the website live at the moment. Very low in price.

I tend to stick to smaller companies as the few extra £'s or €'s or $'s (if their are even any) on hosting is more than made up for in customer support.

grandad

Just to stick another litle ha'pence worth here. As i said before, I moved to BK a few years ago and never looked back.

If nothing else, their support cannot be faulted. I had two incidents recently.

One was where a major client completely f*cked up their domain. An accountant in the company got hold of the DNS settings and played around with them to avoid spam :D. I am NOT joking. [Grandad blogged about it]. Michele went way beyond the call of duty to try to sort things, even though it was nothing to do with BK. Yer a Star Michele!

Another was when there was a mail problem on one of my client's accounts. It started the day BK started their Christmas break, and it kept shutting down the account. Paul worked on it right up to and including Christmas Day. Thanks Paul. Yer a Star too.

Now show me another company that provides a service like that......

Status
Not open for further replies.